View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 2:31 pm

Grouse in the woods?? 
Longbeard

Post Re: Grouse in the woods??
Haven't been grouse hunting this fall although we were supposed to go Fri. but went rabbit hunting instead. One thing I've seen in our rabbit hunts this year is the rabbits are plentiful, the quail population seems to be good (relatively speaking), and woodcock are SUPER abundant this year. All good things considering #s were down the last couple years (due to the blizzard of '10 I believe).

Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:21 pm
King of Spring

Coalman wrote:
Three guys with three dogs will be chasing partridge on a NH mountain Sunday.

I'm sure glad I am one of those guys and Bay is one of those dogs. :D

Results to follow.

Ah, Grouse hunting on a Sunday. We can only dream. :?

Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:13 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

did manage to get three solid points on three birds yesterday...cover so thick no shooting opportunities even though I was closer than fifteen yards to every flush. Birds were not surprsiningly in the thickest possible tangles you could imagine

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:21 am
Boss Gobbler

Bigbird and I hunted in Bland County on Wednesday. We jumped three grouse on this piece of private property. Most I have jumped in years.

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:03 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Myself and Vagrousehunter hunted the last two days. Had 4 or 5 flushes yesterday and 11 today. Of those flushes, we actually saw 3 birds. Shot a 1 and killed it. By our usual poor standards, that was a pretty decent day. PS. Bear and deer hunters (final day) were everywhere. I've come to the conclusion there are almost more bear hunters then deer hunters these days.

Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:45 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

my dog has been occassionally bringing some birds back to hand recently. I swear I think they look a lot like grouse, as best i can recall

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:46 am
King of Spring

Gobblenow wrote:
my dog has been occassionally bringing some birds back to hand recently. I swear I think they look a lot like grouse, as best i can recall

Did those birds die a natural death, or lead poisoning. Just worried about the dog of course. 8)

Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:39 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

They perished a few yards in front of the dog. Miracle in all respects.

- Archibald Rutledge

Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:00 pm
King of Spring

Gobblenow wrote:
They perished a few yards in front of the dog. Miracle in all respects.

It happens from time to time. Not sure, but one either flew into a tree or a shot pattern. Guess I'll never know:

Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:49 pm
King of Spring

Is that a pigeon? Only getting one out of 11 is pretty standard. I only do a little better with dove. Don't practice enough.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:34 am
King of Spring

Tut/VAB,

How did you all do hunting the last day of the season? Any birds take wing?

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:16 am
King of Spring

Tut and I went on the last day. We managed to hunt for three hours before the winds started howling. We had six flushes and one kill. Check out the crop contents on this bird.Image

That was the story this year. Find thick cover in the vicinity of acorns and you'd find birds.

Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:22 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Southern Appalachia has basically a zero acorn year. Also A zero grape year. Despite early season absence. Few birds have shown up in last two weeks and I have managed ba dy with two kills and a day with three kills. More than anything I was thrilled with those nice days for the sake of my setters who are in their prime but have labored through a very tough grouse season until the last few weeks.

- Archibald Rutledge

Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:09 pm
King of Spring

I'm glad that you're finally into some grouse GN. Tut and I have to drive 2 1/2 hours to find some up here. They are all but gone in northern Va.

Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:59 am