View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 5:23 pm

First VA Late Season Turkey 
King of Spring

Post First VA Late Season Turkey
I think it was 21 degrees this morning with a heavy frost as Freddy and I walked the road to the listening post. The ground crunched as we made our way to the field edge. As we reached our destination, Freddy said take a look behind you. The Lord had blessed us with a beautiful red sky as the sun was trying to peak over the ridgeline. We both admired the view as we listened to the morning woods come alive. It couldn't have been 5 minutes when we both heard the tree yelp some 150 yards down the hollow from us. A smile on both our faces told the story better than words. Some quiet conversation about whether to move while the light was still sparse or wait for them to fly down before moving. We opted to sit tight for awhile and wait for flydown. We gave them enough time to flydown but didn't hear them do so. We opted to backtrack some 100 yards along the ridgeline and drop down into the hollow and try to approach with the creek as cover. Making our way in the bottom, we pull even with our higher listening post and pause to see if we can hear the birds. The creek sounds were much, much loader in the bottom, making for difficult hearing of the birds. Then the yelp was clear and gave away their location. The plan was hatched and 15 minutes later, we were above them just below the top of the ridge. Pausing at a white oak, we listen for a few minutes and I pick up walking in the leaves just over the ridge. Our backs firmly to the oak, we are among small pines so this is going to be one of those up close and personal ordeals if it unfolds. Closer and closer they come, seemingly headed right at our location. At about 40 yards, even though they sounded much much closer, they suddenly get quiet. Not three minutes pass with no sounds when I hear what sounded like 10 deer coming down the next ridge over behind us and into the bottom. I whisper to Freddy that we're going to get stampeded as the deer make their way up the ridge right behind our location. Deer behind us and turkeys in front of us, this should be interesting. I told Freddy previously that I really wanted that experience of busting up the flock and calling them back in our conversations about the hunt, but it was clear that this was a small group of birds, most likely gobblers as the ground talk was very, very sparse. We agreed that if I got the chance, I'd take the shot without a bust. Freddy gave some small talk as the birds stood just out of sight silent. Having heard the small talk and the running in the leaves, they must have decided that it was time to see the other turkeys just out of sight. Here they came through thick stuff to my left. I catch glimpse of one bird working across the top of the ridge quickly not 20 yards from us and it seems the whole gang is going to travel to my hard left. Freddy says, there they are, gobblers, kill them! I cannot see them and whisper so to Freddy, but them I pick up the lead bird coming to my left hard. I swing on the bird and it seemingly stops in the one and only semi-clear lane I have. BOOOOMMMM! and I see the bird flopping as the other six or seven birds take flight. I can't believe it. I've taken a bird on VA"s first late turkey season. Freddy and I go to the bird and admire it's beauty. High Fives it is and the replay of the hunt begins. Aside from flock vocalizations, this hunt had it all. I love the excitement of hearing birds but not seeing them, especially when they get close. As we're admiring the bird, Freddy notices that the bird had frost on its back and tail feathers. Look closely at one of the pics below and you'll see the frost. What an amazing hunt! One I will treasure as long as this old brain can retain the details. A jake with about a 4" beard, nubs and weighted 13 lbs 5 ozs. This was only my second fall bird ever (my first came with TScott some five years ago now). Thank you Lord for the health to hunt, the turkey to pursue and good friends to share the experience with!

Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:47 pm
Profile YIM
Boss Gobbler

Post Re: First VA Late Season Turkey
Congratulations my friend!!! :smt003

A great story, felt like I was there with both of you!!

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:41 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Great job Dale and a great story to go along with it!!

Doug

Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:14 pm
King of Spring

Congrats Dale, nice pics, and story.
Glad it all came together for you !

Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:26 pm
King of Spring

Congrats Dale, Jake in the fall/winter is the perfect bird to me.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:43 am
King of Spring

Sounds like a load of fun. Congratulations!

Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:18 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Turkeys in duck season, Congrats!

Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:00 pm
Boss Gobbler

Congrats again man! It was fun to get back out there and fool with fall birds again. What a great morning to be out!

Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:34 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Sounds like a great hunt...Congrats!!!

Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:16 pm
King of Spring

Congrats! Great story too!

Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:50 pm
King of Spring

good job Dale, you have become a great turkey hunter :smt006

brian :mrgreen:

Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:36 pm
King of Spring

Very Nice.. congrats man..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:41 am
King of Spring

Way cool!

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:16 pm
King of Spring

Congrats Dale! Great pics!

Ryan

Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:24 am
King of Spring

Awesome. Nothing like hunting them in the fall, if they come into the calling then take the shot. I only bust up a flock if I have to anymore.

Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:26 am