View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:21 am

Bobcat Attacks Turkey Hunter 
King of Spring

Post Bobcat Attacks Turkey Hunter
Somehow had missed this story earlier....

http://www.gazettevirginian.com/news/14 ... unter.html

The Gazette-Virginian
Bobcat Mauls Turkey Hunter
Sustains Face, Neck Injuries

Happened in HALIFAX VA sometime in April.

A 22-year-old Alton man got the surprise of his life Friday morning while turkey hunting in the Cluster Springs community.
James Henderson was seated against a tree with his eyes on a turkey in front of him, working his turkey call, when a bobcat leaped upon him from behind.
“Bobcats are so sneaky, I didn’t hear anything,â€

Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:04 am
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Someone had told me about this and I forgot about it.
Wonder if this ever happens out west with mountain lion? :shock:

Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:29 am
King of Spring

Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:11 pm
King of Spring

A friends son had a bobcat jump on him turkey hunting while he was attending Va tech. It was, he said, fairly young and didn't hurt him as he was able to throw it off. He called up 4 bobcat together there a week later and spooked them away. I have seen quite a few the past couple years, it seems they are growing in population like other predators. :x

Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:46 pm
King of Spring

I remember a well know hunting photographer having a bobcat attack his inflatable decoys. I saw the video on line somewhere. having one come down on a camoed human is something else!

"Turkey hunting, when you knock all the feathers off it, is a game of infinite variables, played on a field of unlimited dimension, against an opponent who doesn't know the rules and wouldn't play by them if he did." ...Jim Spencer

Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:56 pm
Poult

Post Re: Bobcat Attacks Turkey Hunter
Its funny i ran across this, i was the one attacked by the bobcat in cluster springs 2 yrs ago. Something i never expected.

Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:35 pm
Boss Gobbler

Thats crazy, anything else you would add to the story...I am sure everyone would like to know that part from the actual victim.

Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:28 pm
Poult

Sure. Well I roosted a bird the night before on a farm I hunt, and set out the next morning before light to set up on the bird as close as I dare. My girlfriend came along with me that particular morning. I knew it was going to be tuff to get a good setup on the bird because I knew the lay of the land which consisted of swamps and some thick patches, not the kind of woods you'd hope for on a bird but it can be done. We walked a road bed which led down to a swamp and got up on the open oak ridge and that's where we'd wait to listen for him to gobble and make a move closer if needed. Well on the walk down the road bed I heard some sort of noise that resembled a bird but I didn't recognize the sound it wasn't like the "baby cries" everyone talks about. And as we sit on the oak ridge in the dark, the noise came from out in front of us. I didn't pay it any mind. As the sun started to rise and the woods waking up, geese on a farther swamp start honking and the gobbler shocked gobbled to it so we immediately got up and made a move closer. The gobbler flew down but when he did he flew into the cattle pasture maybe 60 yards from me but I'm sitting in pines and cedars with a few blow downs so seeing him in the field is impossible. I let out with some excited hen yelps and cuts and 2 gobblers answer back,the other had been hush mouth til he hit the ground. Everything was going text book id cut up and they'd double and triple gobble. I just shut up and let them come, when I heard the come into the woods drumming he was coming around to my right to get around the obstacles so me and my girlfriend switched places at the tree. Finally he came within sight and the other gobbler about blows my hat off gobbling from behind me. I let out some soft purrs to coax the gobbler in front of me in for the shot before the one behind me that I can't shoot blows my cover. Finally he's close enough for the shot I put the bead on my 1187 on him but his head was obscured by limbs on the blow down I needed just two more steps being I didn't want to call to him that close to make him telescope his head up. All of a sudden I got hit in the side of the head and felt blood run down my face. My first thought was the turkey behind me had jumped on me. After hit by the bobcat I hear flying cackles as the cat jumps at the gobbler in front of me. The gobbler lit in the tree above me. After I realized what had happened I went to the E.R where they put stitches in my lower eye lid and treated for rabies being the cat wasn't received. I had a blackeye that looked like a 500 pound black bear had smacked me. I was back hunting that evening. This past spring I harvested a gobbler in the same spot this event took place but there wasn't a cat involved in that hunt. My girlfriend didn't want any parts of that spot on that hunt. o

Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:46 am
King of Spring

Gobble4me....thats a great story...glad you were not hurt more than you were....is your girl friend still huntin... :lol:

Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:19 pm
Profile YIM
Poult

Thank you, and yes she still goes when given the chance. Called up three for her last spring.

Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:42 am
King of Spring

That's crazy!

Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:04 pm