View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 8:31 am

Bill Cachran's "Thou shalt not hunt on the sabbath" 

What would you like to see. if you had to vote on this law....... hunt on sunday
Poll ended at Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:42 pm
Sunday hunting bow season only 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
just on private land only "any game" 28%  28%  [ 12 ]
Sunday afternoons only "any game" 14%  14%  [ 6 ]
add big game on sunday bow, muzzleloading and general firearm 40%  40%  [ 17 ]
no game hunted on sunday 14%  14%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 43

King of Spring

Post Bill Cachran's "Thou shalt not hunt on the sabbath"
http://www.roanoke.com/outdoors/billcochran/wb/302078

The Virginia Deer Hunters Association is surveying its members—again-to see how they feel about Sunday hunting, an issue destined to grab a lot of attention when the 2012 General Assembly convenes in January.

In similar surveys conducted in the past, members have opposed repealing the ban that for decades has kept hunters out of the woods on Sundays. But the gap has been closing in the ranks of the association and elsewhere.

While Sunday hunting is far from a done deal, it stands its best chance ever of being approved, although that might be two or three years in the future. Hunters themselves will need to come together, and they remain polarized at this point.

“Those who support lifting this ban say it’s long overdue,” said Denny Quaiff, executive director of VDHA. “However, many Virginians are satisfied with the Sunday hunting ban and welcome a day of rest for wildlife and landowners. Along with hunters that support the ban, horseback riders, bird watchers, mountain bikers and the like are also against changing the law.”

The VDHA survey, which went out to 5,000 members, poses six questions on the issue. The big one is: “Would you support Sunday hunting for the entire season?” In other words, do you want Sunday to be like any other day when it comes to hunting?

Other questions invite input on partially opening the door to Sunday hunting, such as allowing it during the bow season only, or just on private land, or on Sunday afternoons, or anytime but opening day of the bow, muzzleloading and general firearm seasons.

Members are being asked to reply by Dec. 30 so the information can be compiled in time for the General Assembly. The findings are certain to have an impact on the debate, no matter which side gains the most support. VDHA doesn’t plan to endorse either side, Quaiff said. The purpose of the survey is to provide information, he said.

“The VDHA has never taken a formal stance on the issue, since there has never been an overwhelming consensus on either side,” he said.

Quaiff said he believes the vote will be close, but the majority of members will continue to oppose Sunday hunting.

Until now, the effort to end the ban often has been carried by people who have been poorly organized and funded, and who lack an understanding of how to work within the system. They get clobbered when they go up against opponents like the Virginia Farm Bureau and Virginia Hunting Dog Alliance. But there are some big new guns digging in this time.

In June, the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries passed a resolution supporting Sunday hunting, following a long history of being neutral or opposed to the concept. That’s going to make a significant difference when DGIF board members appear before legislators with the full backing of the agency. They will tout benefits that include more license revenue for the DGIF and twice the number of days to hunt for sportsmen limited to weekends.

The battle still comes down to a vote of individual delegates and senators, and many of them are having difficulty deciding how to deal with an issue than can cause lots of hard feelings.

The Martinsville Bulletin contacted legislators in its coverage area and found modest support for Sunday hunting, but not enough to lift the ban, the newspaper reported.

“I just don’t think it is going to pass,” said Del. Danny Marshall, R-Danville. Marshall submitted a bill to end the ban several years ago, but pulled it when constituents said they opposed Sunday hunting.

State Sen. Bill Stanley, R-Glade Hill, and Del. Don Merricks, R-Pittsylvania County, told the Bulletin they may be willing to support compromise legislation, such as allowing Sunday hunting during the bow season or on private land only. Both said they didn’t expect to see the full ban lifted.

Legislatures in Northern Virginia and the Tidewater area can be expected to provide greater support for Sunday hunting than found in rural areas. Like hunters, lawmakers are sharply divided on what they see as a sensitive issue.

Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:42 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: Bill Cachran's "Thou shalt not hunt on the sabbath"
Will it ever end

Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:46 pm
2 Year Old

I'm from PA and the same thing is going on up there. VA and PA are both commonwealth's and are both slow to change due to a "thats the way it's always been" mentality. If you can fish on Sunday why not hunt on Sunday?

Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:01 pm
King of Spring

I've expressed my opinion on this previously. I think we should have the ability to chose whether or not to hunt on Sunday. Don't know that I would actually hunt on Sunday, but I think we should have the choice. I've certainly fished on Sunday and scouted for game on Sunday, so no reason to believe I wouldn't hunt on Sunday given the opportunity. Been to other states and hunted on Sunday. Just my 1 1/2 cents worth....

Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:56 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

I started to say something, but it is the holidays so lets let it rest for all our sakes especially Freddy's. You can have it out in the new year. Merry Christmas to you one and all!

Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:31 am
Longbeard

We cannot force guys to go to church and serve the Lord. We can lead by example and love them into the Kingdom. If that means me sitting in a blind with a Guy on Sunday morning and getting the chance to pour into him and let him know being a Christian is much more than 4 walls. I'm all for it. regardless of if we have hunting on Sunday, folks are gonna do what they want anyway.

Some guys get limited time off to hunt and if Sunday will get them in the woods so be it. My $.02.

Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:01 am
Longbeard

I didnt vote b/c I am not sure which way Im leaning. I think it would be nice for guys (include me i guess) that work and can only get certain amount of time to hunt. In years past I have had jobs that didnt hinder me from doing lots of hunting. So, I know both sides of it. This I think is the only real reason to be able to hunt on Sunday. Is hunting a right or priviledge? Do any of you guys know? Seriously, b/c Im wondering about this.

If its a right than I think we can hunt whenever we want. If its a priviledge than that is why we have limits and regs. So, I would think that hunting is viewed by lawmakers as a priviledge. But, I dont know.

Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:26 am
King of Spring

I'm all for it it seems like i work 8 days a week, so any extra i get would make the license worth it's while..

Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:32 am
Profile YIM
King of Spring

All this change,change this, change that....4 years ago change was the big push. Well we have all seen how thats worked.

Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:54 pm
King of Spring

Bowkill,if ever there was an augment for Sunday hunting your statement is one of the best I've seen. Well said.

Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:34 am
Longbeard

Growing up in Virginia, always thought no hunting on Sunday was just the way it was.

When I got out of the Army and settled in Tennessee, I was shocked that i could hunt in Sundays.

I love being able to hunt on Sunday, if I choose to.

I still hunt in Virginia and always will. I use Sunday as a travel day and that works for me. Except I lose the opening day of every season since they start on Saturday. I guess i could drive up Friday night and hunt but then i have all day Sunday to sit and wait on Monday morning.

I am all for Sunday hunting.

Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:56 am
King of Spring

All this change,change this, change that....4 years ago change was the big push. Well we have all seen how thats worked.

Good post Vabird...I agree...

Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:29 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Bird Dog wrote:
I started to say something, but it is the holidays so lets let it rest for all our sakes especially Freddy's. You can have it out in the new year. Merry Christmas to you one and all!

Guys i did not start this post to get a new "POT" going. i posted it up for all to see what was coming up and see how ya'll would vote if you had to vote for it. please dont stir the pot on this or be a "pot licker". Just vote and lets just see what the poll comes out like...... :wink:

Brian

Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:03 pm
2 Year Old

I know this topic always gets heated and that makes me laugh. Here is my view. Its your time and do with it what you please. I grew up in PA, no Sunday hunting. Moved to Montana, when I found out I could hunt on Sunday it was a little weird but I got used to it quickly!! Moved to AZ where I could still hunt on Sunday. Now I am in VA and I can't hunt on Sunday. It kinda sucks to drive to hunt on opening day of any given season to then not be able to hunt for another week since Sunday is off limits. My .02 for what its worth... fight nice boys and girls, Freddy is watching lol

Bowkil, I used to get a hard time from my folks for not being in church on Sunday morning until I told them that I couldn't get any closer to God than a mountain top at sunrise!

Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:57 pm
King of Spring

Its looks like only 14% is for no sunday hunting and 86% are looking for some kind of hunting on sunday.

thanks guys for your vote :smt006

brian

Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:19 pm