View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 12:32 am

What's your take on the deer season? 
King of Spring

Post Re: What's your take on the deer season?
Roy S wrote:
Besides yotes, do u guys think the numbers are still down b/c of the horrible winter we had 2 years ago?

I think in some areas in the far western part of the state the winter of two years ago certainly affected populations. Not only was there some starvation, those does who did survive were stressed to the point where they didn't produce twin fawns. All of that affected the populations. However, I truly believe in the national forests the bigger problem is one of management. Simply put there needs to be a much greater emphasis on clear cutting to increase the available browse for the benefit of all the game species. Right now, if there is no acorn crop to speak of the mountain deer don't have much to eat at all. Couple a bad acorn crop with bad weather (heavy snow cover and cold) and you've got a recipe for disaster. I think what Pa is doing in the way of management of their ANF is the way to go for sure. Lots of clearcutting and lots of food available to support not only deer, but grouse and turkey as well. I know one thing for sure, the populations of both deer and grouse in the National Forests of Virginia have dropped like a stone compared to what they were 20 years ago IMO.

Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:45 pm
Longbeard

I have heard about and seen more big bucks taken this year than any year in a long time. it may have something to do with the previous years acorn drop. The prerut/chase period was great in my area between nov. 5 - 15th. The following weeks certainly slowed down a lot with the warmer weather. the total amount of deer ive seen doesnt seem much different than previous years either

Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:14 pm
Jake

Barry

I am sure that a lot of buck are being tagged in on a doe tag by using the phone system. The deer that are being brought in to you should have a check number with them or you could get in to trouble for holding them. I beleave the check # should tell you how it was checked in. The last several #'s should be the number of points Example X0l340054680 would be a 8 pointer. I an not sure what a doe number would be but the check number should have a letter with 11 numbers

Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:42 am
King of Spring

We store NO DEER without a name & confirmation #.

Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:58 am
King of Spring

last two on a doe tag is x0l3400546oo.....oo is a doe

Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:35 pm