View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 6:27 pm

Hunting with dogs gradually fading away? 
King of Spring

Post Hunting with dogs gradually fading away?
For over 30 years (I'm that old BTW), I've been making a trek to the southcentral part of the state to deer hunt on a small piece of property owned by my cousin. Lots of clearcuts, thick and nasty and swamps and pine thickets (planted so thick you have to push your way through). Now, I never hunted with dogs while down there because I wasn't local and I didn't grow up with it. I did however enjoy the sounds of dogs and knew if I was on my stand next to a very thick place loaded with deer sign that there was a decent chance that when the hunt clubs turned loose the hounds some good things might happen. Never was opposed to it as a rule and just figured different strokes for different folks.

Flash forward to the last couple of years and once again I've found myself over looking those same nasty areas. Difference now is I never heard the first hound cutting loose. Seemed strange to me because I'd always hear the trucks running up and down the road chasing after the running hounds. I asked my cousin about the lack of dogs running and she and her husband said the economy has pretty much ruined the sport. They said to feed and vet and take care of 8-10 deer dogs runs upwards of a $800 a month. Said folks in this economy can't afford it. They also believe more people have moved into the county over the last 20 years who post their lands heavy and who don't allow dogs to trespass or they will shoot them on sight.

Just wondering if folks who hunt down in those areas as a rule can provide comments and opinions on what has decreased the use of dogs while deer hunting. Also wonder besides the economy whether another reason is the early muzzleloader season and whether old timers feel their chances of getting a nice buck are now diminished because so many deer are killed during early muzzleloader season.

Will tell you I kinda miss the sound of the dogs when I'm down there. Sure would get your heart pumping in the middle of the day when you were about half asleep in a deer stand when you heard the hounds coming from the distance and knew something might be headed your way.

Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:51 am
King of Spring

Post Re: Hunting with dogs gradually fading away?
Tut,

The only constant in this life is change. I don't hunt deer with dogs, but use to hunt bunnies and such with hounds and loved it. The sound of a dog on a trail is heart warming to me. There are probably many things that change the nature of the hunting down that way, economy, urbanites becoming suburbanites, PETA, etc....

I have never hunted deer with dogs, but would really like to see it and would probably join in if possible. I would think running hounds is costly, that could be a major contribution. It could also just be that the guys who hunted in your neck of the woods got older and the kids don't want to be bothered with the whole process.

I don't even think you are allowed to use dogs to track wounded deer in MD.

Good luck.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:55 am
Poult

The shooting of someones hunting dog, whether on your property or not is a felony offense. The removal and/or destruction of collars from hunting dogs is also a punishable offense. Ive seen the cases personally where hunting dogs are harmed by landowners and that individual did jail time. Id say the economy has had the biggest affect on dog hunting, however; there are areas where it continues to thrive.

Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:51 am
King of Spring

CVaYelper wrote:
The shooting of someones hunting dog, whether on your property or not is a felony offense. The removal and/or destruction of collars from hunting dogs is also a punishable offense. Ive seen the cases personally where hunting dogs are harmed by landowners and that individual did jail time. Id say the economy has had the biggest affect on dog hunting, however; there are areas where it continues to thrive.

Down in the counties I'm referring to, many hunting hounds end up turned loose at the end of hunting season because the owners no longer want to feed or care of them for the several non-hunting months. What those hunters do is remove the collars when the dogs are turned loose. They (the dogs) then form their own bands and do what they were trained to do and that is run deer for food. That once again is an economic reality. Not much fun to be a dog in this economic environment for sure. In cases such as these land owners (and game wardens alike) are often compelled to shoot the marauding bands of loose dogs. PS. I don't live in those counties. I'm just relaying what I was told by those who live down in those areas.

Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:58 pm
King of Spring

certainly hope so...

Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:34 pm
Longbeard

I have a relative in King William county who is in a club that uses dogs to run deer. They lease thousands of acres of swamp and timber land from the pulpwood company. Dogs are the only way to get the deer out of those thick areas. My dad and I try to go down every year because it is such a great experience. There are also numerous other clubs down there that use dogs. I would say the club I visit has about 40 dogs. I haven't noticed any decline in the number of other hunters we see using dogs in the past few seasons I have been down to King William to hunt. I surely hope the tradition of using hounds isn't dying out!

Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:17 pm
Profile WWW
Poult

Yea its a shame that a few hunters decide to release all of their dogs just to avoid the costs of maintaining those animals. There should be laws against that, even though that would be nearly impossible to enforce. Yes, its understandable having to shoot dogs that have taken that pack mentality and will do anything for food.

Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:04 pm
King of Spring

I for one would “Certainly Hope Not”, and I frankly find it confusing why another hunter would want to see something that has been past down from generation to generation not be continued. One must think because they have access to prime hunting land and food plots that no other hunters are to enjoy what they have been doing for 40 years or more. I believe dog hunting will be here long after my toes are pointing up. I only hope we the hunters learn to share and work together, help protect this wonderful sport we have. I hope all that have food plots enjoy them for many years to come, I hope one day to have my owe, I want to see dog hunting continued the same, Amazing!

Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:41 pm
King of Spring

Got no problem with people hunting with dogs vabirdhunter. Grew up hunting deer over dogs. Only problem I have with it is when I spend thousands of dollars on my own land trying to manage it and keep pressure to a minimum only to have guys on neighboring properties run them all over my place right in the peak of the rut. I like the law that another state implemented (I think Ga) that you can run dogs, but you have to have 1000 acres or more to do it. I'd also be cool with only letting dogs run the last 3 weeks of the season. Just like someone else has the right to hunt with dogs on there place, I have the right to not have them infringing on my place. It would be like me being able to go and bow and black powder hunt on their places until dog season comes in because thats what I prefer to do. I hunt with an old recurve year round, so the less pressure I can have the better. And for the arguement of "my dog can't read posted signs," it's owner can, and until you teach your dog to read I'll hold the owner responsible. Before everyone freaks out on me....I have no problem with someone hunting any way they want as long as its legal. Just don't think it should infringe on other hunters choices on their private land.

Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:24 pm
King of Spring

and baiting waterfowl was also passed down from generation to generation....

Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:27 pm
King of Spring

Hen, I do understand where you are coming from. Sorry if i came across like the angery little kid down the road. I love running dogs, it's what I was brought up on. That being said, I also love sitting in a treestand or blind just taking in all
God has given all of us. Not sure if I agree with the 1000 acre or the 3 week deal.
,but again i understand. Best wishes for the remainder of your season.If ya ever have an extra opening.....Iknow this fellow haha.
Tim

Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:26 pm
King of Spring

I know man....I still like to go to a place in Buckingham and get in on a good dog hunt myself every now and again

Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:14 pm
Longbeard

I keep a kennel full of beagles for rabbit hunting. I usually have between 6-8 dogs and while it's not super expensive, it's not cheap either. My feed bill isn't that bad & I feed Pro Plan & Black Gold, both of which are high quality feeds. For me, it's the vet bills, just took one of my best gyps in yest. and she has a uterus infection. I'm $300 in the hole for that and she may need surgery depending on how bad the infection is, it will run between 1-$3K. When the vet told me, I didn't think twice about spending that kind of $. Not that I liked hearing it, but I spend a lot of time w/ my dogs and they're part of the family.

I have friends in 2 different clubs that run deer dogs and I hunt w/ them occassionally. It's a blast, I just like hearing dogs run. I think the biggest thing leading to the decline in deer dog running is loss of hunting lands & landowner conflicts. There are some bad apples who turn their dogs loose where they don't belong and that has given a log of dog runners a bad rep. I know of a handfull of clubs in Central/Eastern VA that are considered "outlaws" by many b/c of this. In addition to that, many lg. tracts of land have had areas split off and houses built and those people don't want dogs running through their properties. I guess it comes down to the size of the parcel of land you have to hunt, I won't go turning my rabbit dogs loose on 10 acres & expect them to stay there...

Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:51 am
Longbeard

Hey Guys. Haven't posted in a long time but this ones got me goin' a little. First of all let me start by sayin' I'm not trying to start a fight with what I'm about to say it's just my opinion. So don't think I'm sittin' here in my den jumpin' up and down waving my arms okay? I bow hunt from the first week in Oct. all the way till the last week in Oct. Then I pick up my blk. powder gun for two weeks. All of that time is spent sitting in a tree or in a ground blind. That's 6 weeks of still hunting which inlcludes what usually (notice I said USUALLY) in Va. is the best 2 weeks. Then the first weekend of gun season we turn loose the hounds. Now, I know you spend a lot of money on your leases and food plots. But you know what, The hound hunter spends alot of money on his leases and his hounds and believe it or not alot of them plant food plots too. So you're going to tell me that after you have had 6 weeks of hunting the way you want that a man can't hunt the way he wants which is legal in the state of VA? Now I'm not talking about guys who turn their dogs loose DURING bow and blk powder. THAT'S illegal and those guys should be prosecuted. Period! However, the statement that a hound hunter should "control" his dogs is quite frankly a very unrealistic statement. You can not keep a dog off of a piece of property unless there is a fence. If there is a way please tell me. And for the 1000 acre rule?? Come on guys, really? You guys who are against dog hunting are always talking about how much money you spend on YOUR property and you should be able to hunt your land the way you want to.(Remember you've been "still" hunting for 6 weeks) What about MY property. I'm supposed to spend $6-$10 (like you)an acre to only use the land right smack dab in the middle? And for any one who doesn't know, Even if we did turn loose in the middle of that 1000 acres when that deer gets tired of being run around in that cutover, he or she is going to get the heck out of dodge and those walkers are going to be out of that 1000 acres in about 20 minutes. So much for that 1000 acre rule. Again, guys I'm not trying to rant or flame. I just think there's two sides to every story. I don't pretend to have the answer to the problem either. I do know that hunter recruitment is WAY down and this is one place we have got to find a compromise or I'm afraid our hunting heritage is in big trouble in VA. I hope Everybody has a safe rest of the season and a Merry Christmas.

Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:39 pm
King of Spring

I understand you can't control where your dogs may run. That being said, is it fair to the hunter that doesn't want them on his property? One of the perks of owning your own place is the ability to manage it and hunt it the way you want within the limits of the law. Just like you have a right to hunt dogs on your place, I have the same right for them not to be on my place. In a sense, it's trespassing. It affects the enjoyment of my own piece of property. Its no different than a neighboring club man driving my place. I think that hunting in the last few years has taken a dramatic turn towards big buck management. Theres lots of people that are leasing large tracts of land solely for the purpose of bow hunting big bucks. I think that in itself will affect the future of dog hunting. I do like the fact that we can have a civil discussion about it. Says alot about the quality people that frequent this place...

Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:20 pm