View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 10:32 pm

Trail cam advice 
Longbeard

Post Trail cam advice
Christmas is around the corner folks and putting a trail cam on the list this year. Wanted to ask which ones yall have had good experiences with and would recommend, most importantly Im looking for one I can leave up for periods of time that have long battery life my current one is older and uses a 6 volt and it sucks the battery. let me know what yall think! thanks

Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:21 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: Trail cam advice
Bushnell Trophy Cam ..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:02 am
King of Spring

I've been using the primos Truthcam 35, easy to setup, uses 4 D batteries and mine has been up and running since early August and the batteries are still reading 70% full even after over 4,000 pics and videos. I've been plenty happy with it.

Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:05 am
King of Spring

I like the low end moultrie camera's i bought two in august and still haven't needed to change the batteries and they only costed me 99$, they have all the features like moon phase, temps good quality nite time pictures.

Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:27 pm
Profile YIM
Longbeard

i really like the bushnell trophy cam as well. it has long battery life and is supposed to last a year on 8 AA's. I havent had it out that long to find out. trigger speed is great as well, works well with the 3 burst mode on trails

Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:17 pm
Jake

I have a few spypoints and I wont buy any other kind...
Long battery life like 3000 pics or more and its a very easy setup..
Not much difference in the 5mp and the 6mp..
Great cameras

Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:46 am
King of Spring

It is not uncommon for me to have 2000 pics on one 4 gig card after 3 weeks on my Trophy Cam set in the burst mode and 1 second delay .. 8 AA batterires will last me at least 8 months even with taking that many pics (between 10 and 16 thousand), I have left it for 2 weeks and went back and the card is full with over 3000 before.. it will last even longer up to a year if I set the delay longer .. I have had both Home-brews (I made them myself) and Moultries and this one is by far the best I have had..

I have not had the spy-points though so they may be great too..

I would like to have about 3 more of the Trophy cams though if I could afford to get them.. they are about $130 each on Ebay for the non Bone-collector model (waste of money for that) the plain Jane model has all the same features..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:35 am
King of Spring

I have a couple of the spypoints and the work well. My most recent purchase was a Primos DPS (Deer Positioning System). The trail cams work great and take good pics but I wanted something to watch food plots and open fields. As you know a trail cam has to be triggered. If the deer is more than 30 yards away you get nothing. The DPS (Primos' version of a Plotwatcher) takes a picture every 5, 10, 15, 20, or 30 seconds all day. If something comes into the field it will be captured. I have several photos of deer out over 100 yards. Things I would never see with a trail camera. Might want to consider it.

Another thing to consider is some trail cams have this feature too. They might cost a little more to have a plot watching feature, but they will do everything you may require. I have been very happy with mine, except for no deer showing up as of late. I think I paid about $100 for mine so they don't break the bank either. Mine also came with software so I can watch an entire days happenings in about 5 minutes.

Something to consider.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:38 pm
Longbeard

Thanks for the advice guys! I will continuing looking at cabelas and ready reviews but Im thinking bushnell trophy Cam. WVboy has talked up the long battery life and that what im looking for!

Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:27 pm