View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 10, 2024 10:22 am

is anyone seeing anything? 
King of Spring

Post is anyone seeing anything?
I want to start off by saying happy thanksgiving to everybody. I hope it was a great one for everyone. Also, I have no idea what is goin on in the woods this year. I am having the toughest season on seeing deer. Heck I barely hav any fresh sign on my place that up until 2 days prior muzzeloading season was crawling with deer. I killed a 4 pointer on Friday opening week of muzzeloading and have not seen a deer since and not for the lack of trying. I have probably hunted more than I ever have. Anybody else having the same problem? Or any suggestions? Ps I am so bored I am literally typing this from the deer stand!

Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:24 am
King of Spring

Post Re: is anyone seeing anything?
I saw a spike this morning. I have seen normal amount of does and small bucks this year but no shooters yet.

Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:33 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Been very hit or miss...I think the weather has had alot to do with it. I've only seen 2 "shooters" ...10 pt I killed and one 20"+ wide 8 pointer at 500 yards. Seen a fair amount of chasing and bucks cruising in the past 4 weeks but not like it's been years past.

Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:55 pm
Poult

jstchln71 wrote:
I want to start off by saying happy thanksgiving to everybody. I hope it was a great one for everyone. Also, I have no idea what is goin on in the woods this year. I am having the toughest season on seeing deer. Heck I barely hav any fresh sign on my place that up until 2 days prior muzzeloading season was crawling with deer. I killed a 4 pointer on Friday opening week of muzzeloading and have not seen a deer since and not for the lack of trying. I have probably hunted more than I ever have. Anybody else having the same problem? Or any suggestions? Ps I am so bored I am literally typing this from the deer stand!

Ever since the 1st week of muzzle loader passed I have seen fewer and fewer deer. This is very unusual for the area I hunt, the other guy whom hunts the land says the same. My trail cams are not even getting many photos This year has been very disappointing but it isn't over yet...

Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:47 pm
King of Spring

I hunt on NF mostly and not seeing hardly any deer or sign either. I agree that the weather has messed up the season. My trail cam isn't getting many pictures either...except squirrels. :roll:

Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:34 pm
King of Spring

In Shenandoah County the rut is done for sure. Deer after being hammered for two weeks of muzzleloading and one week of rifle season have gone nocturnal for the most part. We believe numbers of deer in our part of the county are down. Base that on number of sightings on the farm in different stands and the number of deer that are no longer showing up on trailcams. We've also seen large numbers of solo fawns around which indicate mommy is already in someone's freezer. Seems to be the most disappointing season we've ever seen. In short, they expanded the season to allow killing two deer per day to reduce numbers and that seems to be happening. Be interesting to see the deer kill totals for the county at the end of the season.

Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:31 pm
King of Spring

I've seen more bucks traveling to the woods in the morning while it's dark than I've seen deer in the woods during the day. So I'd agree that they've gone nocturnal here too.

Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:27 pm
King of Spring

I totally agree with you guys!! I was on my way home from church tonight, and on the road up to my house. I saw nearly 20 deer!!!!!! No exageration!!! In the fields at around 8 ish tonight!! Its unbelievable, I have never seen them go nocturnal this early in the season!!

Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:41 pm
King of Spring

I think the heat has really impacted movement. Also the rut is in the "lock down" phase, and the does already bread are grouping up together with fawns into larger herds, making it more it or miss. Don't give up.

Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:08 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Just looked out the window at work and watched a STUD 9 pointer eating the grass in the soccer field 50 yards behind the building. There were two does out there as well and all he cared about was building up his strength from all the chasing/breeding he has been doing. i watched this same buck come out in the same soccer field 2 weeks ago and several of the does took off and he didn't stay in the field long as he was right behind them. I wish I had my camera, his brow tines are at least 8 inches.

Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:41 am