View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 11, 2024 10:21 pm

bear hunting?? 
King of Spring

Post bear hunting??
I was wondering if there was any bear hunting guides in Virginia?? Hows bear hunting on public lands in Virginia is there any good places to go?? Also i heard a rumor that thompson center arms company sold out to smith an weston company will they still be making them??

Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:55 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Post Re: bear hunting??
No need for a guide :mrgreen: . I can shoot several every year if I wanted to and I dont even hunt for them! Missed about a 350 lber last tuesday with a bow at 16 yards. Shooting down at a steep angle I thought my cam would clear the rail on my climber and was wrong! Shot right under neath him and he still never knew I was there. Honestly, the bear population has exploded in the southwestern part where Im at and its hard to go hunting without seeing one. Im pretty sure smith bought TC out about 5 years ago

Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:48 pm
Boss Gobbler

Yes, Smith & Wesson bought Thompson Center about five or six years ago. I have bought an Encore frame and a Triumph since the buy out plus several Encore barrels.

With some leg work, homework and such you can kill a bear on public land if you put the time in.

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:09 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

My Brother in law, who lives in Big Island has killed 12 bears with his bow. All on National Forest.

GOBLN2 :smt006

Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:33 pm
King of Spring

Western Augusta County has a decent population also. My brother in law killed a 250 lb. one a few weeks ago with his bow.

Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:47 pm
King of Spring

Had about a 250 lb bear come in about 1 oclock today. Seriously there everywhere here. I dont bear hunt but I believe Im going to go during the bear rifle season. We can bust them next week to with the muzzleloader. I bet theres going to be a lot die! A friend of mine is a taxidermist and has had more bears brought in so far than deer.

Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:50 pm
King of Spring

I would love to see one. We've had them hit the bee hives and fruit trees in the summer, but never seen one when hunting.

Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:05 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

My wife wants me to get a bear rug sometime along the way. If anyone knows where in VA to go I would like to add it to the collection. In MD it is a lottery and I never seem to win.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:07 pm
King of Spring

Seen 2 more this evening. That makes a 11 for the year so far! If anyone wants directions to them PM me. Its near the grayson/smyth line. Its a long walk though! No acorns here but theres a bunch of beech nuts and thats what there keying on right now.

Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:20 pm
Jake

would a game warden help out dragging a bear out? haha

Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:10 am
King of Spring

TS,

I would take you up on that, but work has me over a barrel right now. Might have to give you a PM for next year. Since I am from MD where is it you are talking about? Do they have any size to them? (Not that I am picky.) How long of a drag?

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:44 am
King of Spring

Vic im the south west part of the state. Not far from NC or TN. There are some really nice bears killed around here every year that go over 500 and every now and then a 600+. I would say a 250-325 is quite doable if your willing to let the small ones walk. Drag can be brutal, hence the reason I dont shoot hardly. Closest walk to the truck is about hour 45 with a few spots over 2.5 hours. Game warden did tell me he would help get them (bear or deer) with his four wheeler if he could get to it but Im positive he couldnt due to the steepness and thickness.

Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:26 pm
King of Spring

Do you have to get a special tag for a beer or is it part of the big game license? Do they have a spring hunt too or is it just the fall? Sorry to be a pain but I am unfamiliar.

Vic

-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:01 am
Boss Gobbler

Vic,

Bear tags come with the big game license. Fall hunting only. Pretty long season if you include the archery, muzzleloader and rifle.

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:05 pm
Profile WWW