View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 12:37 pm

Grouse in the woods?? 
King of Spring

Post Grouse in the woods??
Just returned from my first attempt at locating the elusive grouse in some of Virginia National Forests. Sad to say the demise of the last few years seems to have continued. Well traveled clear cuts revealed loads of food (enough wild grapes to make wine) and lots of acorns, but 3 plus hours of walked yielded nary a flush for myself or my golden. Just wondered if anyone out there fall turkey hunting had been flushing any anywhere. PS. Pa is looking better all the time although I sure hate to drive 3 or more hours one way just to move a few birds.

Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:52 am
King of Spring

Post Re: Grouse in the woods??
Tut, My results monday mirror your own, Good cover,and covered ground. Dog did point three woodcock, nice, but a let down when you're waiting for the whirr of wings. Only thing I can say is woods were still thick so they can be anywhere, but if there were many we would have stumbled on one somewhere.

Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:57 am
King of Spring

They are all in Maine. :D

Your eye in the Northeast sky
Coalman's Online Blog http://coalmansblog.com

Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:00 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

That's just mean. :D

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:48 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

three hours with a great dog resulted in zero contacts in eastern Tenn.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:20 am
Boss Gobbler

I hardly ever see grouse anymore. :( I did jump a woodcock this afternoon as I walking out.

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:12 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

You guys are in the wrong places...I've seen some out my way! :D

Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:17 pm
King of Spring

I saw one in Page County during bow season and on another property in Page I hear them drumming every time I am out there, but I haven't seen one yet this year.

Ryan

Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:45 pm
Boss Gobbler

I flushed one today in the national forest in Bland County.

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:14 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Post Woodcock are southbound
While hunting deer Monday we had numerous woodcock flushes. The last few days in the 60's has probably delayed any hasty departure. I watched one come to roost while on stand tonight.

If it is true they migrate by the full moon they should be in VA soon.

Four days so far in our local NH woods chasing bambi and one partridge flush. :(

Your eye in the Northeast sky
Coalman's Online Blog http://coalmansblog.com

Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:52 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Post Re: Woodcock are southbound
Coalman wrote:
While hunting deer Monday we had numerous woodcock flushes. The last few days in the 60's has probably delayed any hasty departure. I watched one come to roost while on stand tonight.

If it is true they migrate by the full moon they should be in VA soon.

Four days so far in our local NH woods chasing bambi and one partridge flush. :(

Nice thing about Va is the Woodcock early season ended yesterday. What are those folks thinking?

Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:37 am
King of Spring

Ive honestly seen more grouse this year than the past 5 years combined! All have been way back, not near any clear cuts just open woods with some underbrush. I cant figure out what there eating cause theres no soft or hard mast. Seen something last week that I had never seen. There were 4 grouse together and about 8 squirrels. I was just sitting there looking for deer and the grouse came flying in and landed about 40 yards from me. Well the squirrels didnt like that so they came up flushed them. The grouse would fly up in the tree and the squirrels would head back down the mountain. The grouse would fly down and the squirrels would come back right away, flush them, then go back down. They done that for about 4 hours till dark. It was interesting to see!

Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:25 am
King of Spring

turkey_slayer wrote:
Ive honestly seen more grouse this year than the past 5 years combined! All have been way back, not near any clear cuts just open woods with some underbrush. I cant figure out what there eating cause theres no soft or hard mast. Seen something last week that I had never seen. There were 4 grouse together and about 8 squirrels. I was just sitting there looking for deer and the grouse came flying in and landed about 40 yards from me. Well the squirrels didnt like that so they came up flushed them. The grouse would fly up in the tree and the squirrels would head back down the mountain. The grouse would fly down and the squirrels would come back right away, flush them, then go back down. They done that for about 4 hours till dark. It was interesting to see!

You sure they weren't dwarf turkey's?? :D

Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:39 am
King of Spring

Nope they were grouse, I think :smt003 From what Ive seen the hens had a great nesting season though! There were poults everywhere around here in july and august.

Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:15 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

The fact that the conversatons are discussing seeing a grouse, or two grouse, or maybe three grouse should tell you the overall pitiful state of grouse populations in southern applachia. We are talking about birds that were abundant twenty to thrity years ago. Not single bird sightings.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:31 pm