View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2024 8:26 am

Last couple of days..... 
King of Spring

Post Last couple of days.....
How'd everybody do with the weather?

Didn't see quite as many deer as I would have thought with the cold nasty weather yesterday and today. We got 2" of rain yesterday and last night. I believe the temp dipped below freezing overnight. I sat in my stand the last couple hours yesterday and only saw a yearling buck.

Did not go out in the rain this morning. This afternoon it was cold and windy. I had a button dance around under my stand, and I saw a doe out of range.

After dark I went out to run errands. We have a long driveway and on the way out was huge buck and a doe under a whiteoak. Biggest buck I've seen on our place...saw him a few times over the summer, good to know he's still around. On the way back up the drive I there were a couple more bucks under the same tree.

Next time I hunt will be in two weeks with the muzzleloader...can't wait!

Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:54 pm
Profile WWW
Jake

Post Re: Last couple of days.....
I hunted Friday AM, saw 5 does, 2 small 4pt amd 1 smallish 8 pt. Saw a 4 pt first, then 5 doe following about 3 minutes later, same path. Wierd, thought it would be the other way around. Then the six pt came 20 minutes later, same path, nose to the ground. Haven't seen any big ones yet, though I know they are around. Seeing more rubs, but get the feeling we are still a few days away in western Pittsylvania Co. for prime time.

Also Friday AM around noon, went to check a field camera and busted a flock of 17 to 20 turkey. Came up on them in the four wheeler to 35 yards away, and surprisingly they really didn't move much until we charged them. Should have come back with the bow and tried to call them back in, but unfortuneately needed to beat the rain with stuff to do.

Went Friday PM, stayed in the rain and wind, saw nothing.

Didn't hunt Saturday AM, passed on the wind and rain in lieu of some hot eggs, bacon, and biscuits and a warm fire.

Good couple of days to spend some get a way time in God's woods with the family. I suppose that is really what it's all about, isn't it.

Scott

Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:33 am
King of Spring

Havent been hunting much cause work, but today i went to i farm i got to hunt in essex county, which is about an hour an twenty minute drive from my house :( . On the brite side of things it's loaded with deer, went an hung a stand there jumped a big 6 or 8 about 24inches wide nice buck about 180lbs he was laying about 30yrds from were i set my stand, thats prime :) saw a ton of doe tracks two scrapes a nice rub line down a field edge. There's a big corn field bout 250acres they just cut thursday, loaded with deer now. I've been looking ahead at the weather for opening day and here it says 70's an sunny :( accuweather is pretty good at judging fronts.

Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:55 pm
Profile YIM
Longbeard

Saw quite a few doe's and 2 different 8 pters and a 4 pt. They are on the move. Everyday it will increase.

Prob is it will be a full moon phase right in the middle of the rut this year. So if it's warm this year at that time alot will be done at night.

Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:54 am