View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2024 4:56 pm

Here we go again!! 
King of Spring

Post Here we go again!!
Tomorrow is opening day good luck to everyone going bow hunting hope everyone gets a chance at a nice one thank goodness it's cooled down a bit maybe the bugs won't be so bad!!

Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:24 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Post Re: Here we go again!!
I'm ready! Drove 5 hours this afternoon just to hunt the home place tomorrow. Thrilled with the cool weather. Good Luck!

Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:37 pm
Profile WWW
Boss Gobbler

Good luck everyone! I am sitting it out until later this week due to work.

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:15 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Well i'm here to report that hunting wasn't bad i had a great time like i always do saw 2 does rite at daybreak 15yards from my treestand they showed at 650 stil wasnt light enough to shoot i already told myself i was goin to shoot a few does to fill the freezer also to thin the heard alittle to. Also i saw a flock of turkeys around 5 this evening. 6 were jakes with about 5in beards i reckon they'll have 8 or 10 in beards come this spring :D

Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:31 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

I had a good day, lot of wind but deer were moving this afternoon. Saw nothing in the more, saw several in the afternoon...only one buck, a spike, and filled my 2 EAB tags, one at 5:45 the other at 6:30. Glad to have some more deer meat after doing without a few months!

Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:57 pm
Profile WWW
Longbeard

Sounds great. Anyone else have any luck?

Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:53 am
Longbeard

I had a nice morning too. I saw a pair of mature does and a doe with a set of triplets. I had good shot opportunities at all 6 deer at some point, but held off waiting for a good buck in the area. Did see the buck I was looking for, but only a few glimpses at 70 yards or so. Not sure why he didn't follow the same path that the does did. Looking back I wish I had taken one of the does, but hopefully I'll have another opportunity. My dad killed a mature doe and had a tall tined 8 pointer chasing a doe around his stand, but never paused long enough for a shot. I think the cool temps got the deer fired up. I wish I was hunting all week instead of working. Only 40 years until retirement ;) I went to the VT game so I missed the evening sit. Should have gone hunting.

Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:56 pm
Longbeard

Wet Day up Here in NOVA seen 1 doe at 80 yards moving like something spooked her in the morning. Down pour until 3:30 went out to reset some trail cams and walked up on a young 8 pointer lying in his bed at 17 yards. It gave me a good chance to practice drawing on a bedded deer and then trying to sneak up on him and still raining up here.

Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:25 pm
King of Spring

No deer at all for me Sat. AM, lots of acorns and turkey sign around my stand and had a real nice gobbler come in twice on me but never closer than 45-50 yards. He was by himself and the wind had him nervous as you know what, he looked like he had a nice 9-10" beard. If he'd of come 20 more yards I would have tried a shot, never killed one with my bow. Gonna try to get out again tomorrow AM.

Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:57 pm
Longbeard

Wet, windy, and cold morning in Northern Virginia. Didn't see much at all except for the two bucks that walked by my stand at about 0745. Despite the wind, I managed to get an arrow into the lead buck, a decent little 8 point. Far from the biggest deer I have ever killed, but it was my first buck with the bow and the first buck I have killed in four or five years. It looks like we should have some "normal" Fall weather the next few days, so I plan to be in the stand every evening!

Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:24 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Congrats to those who scored! Hunted Sat eve and this eve. Sat. saw alot of deer movement...Prolly 15 or so inside 25 yards...Never had a good shot on a mature doe...Had pleanty of bucks (8 or 9) pass...most w/in 15 yards...Saw a big 6 pt pushin a group of does and had a 3 yr old nice 17in wide 8pt come by on same trail and go out to corn field and spar w another heavy beamed buck for at least 30 min. Very tempting...very...very tempting.........The other buck was def a shooter though...prolly 20inchs and heavy..he came from the other side of field but never got any closer than 80 yards....Darn near felt like November!

Today...nada...weather was rite...wind was rite......but nutin :cry:

Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:14 pm
King of Spring

Have had several friends see deer sparing already. Might be an early rut this year.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:40 am