View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2024 10:21 pm

Building a Deer Cooler 
Longbeard

Post Building a Deer Cooler
Well, I guess it's too late to ask for advice, so I'll just report that within a week or so, I (with the help of friends) will have a build a deer cooler in my barn. We have insulated off a 7 x 11 room and will cool it with an 18,0000 BTU air conditioner and a CoolBot device. These devices look like a slick deal. Check out the web site. Has anybody ever tried one? If not, I guess I'll be reporting the results with you guys. I have no intention of getting into the business of butchering deer. I just wanted to have a place for friends and family to hang deer until they can cut them up themselves. I would like a little feedback from you guys. I think it's reasonable to recoup some of the expense of building and operating the cooler. What would you guys be willing to pay per night for a place to hang your deer?

Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:08 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: Building a Deer Cooler
I have two of those coolbots/windounit ac's for deer and my produce business. The main one is on a 10,000btu and is 7X12X7 cooler I have it right now cooling to 38 deg. The other one is a 7X 20 and a 12,000btu LG...That one is dead on cooling even in the 90's i can get it to 47 or 48. I have 4" rigid in both coolers...top to bottom........The cool bot is way to go

Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:43 pm
King of Spring

I think it would be very cool to have one....but I fear having others use it quickly become a hassle.

Check with your insurance company to make sure charging a fee won't affect your coverage.

Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:17 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Once money hits the table friendships can get lost. If they helped you build it, allow them access to use. If they are standup guys they will give you some money for costs, if not maybe they will give you something in kind, hunting previlege on their properties. Keeping it cold shouldn't be real costly in the winter months, in fact I hope you have a heater for when it gets too cold.

Personally I would charge them anything. See where that leads.

The other gent is right, once money changes hands, you could become liable and that could be real bad if one friend becomes a pain.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:29 am
Longbeard

I appreciate the comments. There are a couple of friends helping with labor on the project, and the agreement is that they can hang their deer for free. As far as money changing hands between friends, we sell freezer beef and eggs to friends, so we have some experience in the matter. My experience is that everything goes smooth as long as everyone gets treated (charged) the same. If you start doing certain folks favors and others find out, then you'll spend all your time chasing your tail. You just have to have upfront understandings and talk about the money side frankly. Actually, there have been nothing but positive comments from friends about paying a cost for using the cooler. I even bounced it off what I thought would be the most cantakerous one in the bunch, and he voiced a positive opinion of the situation.

Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:13 am
King of Spring

We have a deer cooler in the county were i live there great to have around or no where one is. The one here charges 5dollars a day they have a honor box were you leave the money with your name and tag number,, I've got a friend whose uncle has one in caroline county va, he lets people use his he gets checked 3 times a week by game wardens they'll pop up at 9 or 10 at nite to check his.

Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:39 pm
Profile YIM
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

can you hang stripers in this thing, for a fee of course?

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:16 pm
Longbeard

If I help catch them, there will be no charge!!

Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:10 pm
Longbeard

Just to give you guys an update. The cooler is finished and works great. I can have the temp. down to the upper 30's in about 45 minutes to an hour on 70 degree days. Holding the temperature at 34 degrees has been no problem. At this point, I have nothing but good things to say about the cool bot system. We have hung two deer in it so far and it has been great to have deer dressed and hanging in the cold within an hour of harvest. With the way deer have been moving around here, and the cold snap coming, I hope to see some more deer in it this weekend.

Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:38 am
King of Spring

Cool, literally! Hope it does get more in it. I am hoping this weekend cold spell gets the deer moving too. Need meat for my freezer too.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:40 pm