View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 6:40 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Patterning shotguns 
2 Year Old

i first used a scope about 8 or nine years ago, it was a cheap tasco 1.5x5x20. i really liked it but after the first year, the crosshairs got screwed up, so i bought a 2.5 pentax light seeker. when i was on the turkey, it kinda looked smaller, than regular vision, and anyway, i missed 4 birds with it that spring, not sure it was the scopes fault, but i didnt like it and im blaming it, lol. then i said screw the scope and back to no optice. then about 4 years ago, i bought a bushnell holosight. its not a scope, but i think it is the perfect turkey sight, you dont have to have your head on the stock, as long as the dot is on his head, it will hit there, that is perfect for times when everything is not. after using it the last few years, i dont think ill ever try anything else.

Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:53 am
I tried one once but couldn't stand it...I had a red dot. It worked just fine but I don't trust it...say you're out and about and you slip and fall (which does sometimes happen) and suddenly a bird gobbles. You set up, call him in, take careful aim through your scope and boom...CLEAN MISS! You knocked the scope off when you fell down. Yes, its the exception rather than the rule but spring is wet and I just personally don't like to have to worry about bumping the scope. Again, I'm not knocking them I just don't like them.

Having said that my Mom missed a couple turkeys prior to using a red dot, I then put one on her gun and she has not missed since. There is an example of a situation where it would be stupid not to have one.

Just my humble opinion.

-Eric

Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:27 pm
2 Year Old

Post Patterning Shotguns
Never posted before but thought that it was time to start. Decided to pattern my shotgun and then post my findings. Used the 8.5 x 11" target with the 3.5 circle. I am shooting a Winchester 1300, 12 ga., Kicks .665 choke, 3" Winchester HV 4 shot. Distance being 40 yards. 1st target shot a 65 overall with 8 in circle. 2nd target shot a 78 overall with 12 in circle.

Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:46 pm
King of Spring

What particular Rhino choke model and constriction are you shooting with the Nitro's? That's a good looking pattern! You say you contacted Nitro and spoke with someone about your gun. I wonder if I called they could recommend a particular choke/load combination that they have tested with my gun that I could start with? Do you have the number you called? I was having some trouble finding their website.
Browtine

Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:34 pm
King of Spring

Maytom,
What particular Rhino choke model and constriction are you shooting with the Nitro's? That's a good looking pattern! You say you contacted Nitro and spoke with someone about your gun. I wonder if I called they could recommend a particular choke/load combination that they have tested with my gun that I could start with? Do you have the number you called? I was having some trouble finding their website.
Browtine

Here is the site.. it has all kinds of stuff they tested out already..

http://www.nitrocompany.com/pattern.htm

Take me Home Country Roads.

Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:15 am
King of Spring

Thanks WVBOY! I've started doing some reading on their site.
Browtine

Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:37 pm
Longbeard

Here is the site.. it has all kinds of stuff they tested out already..
http://www.nitrocompany.com/pattern.htm

I sent the Nitro Company an e-mail and they answered all my questions and were very helpful.

I shot their H378 4x5x7 hevi-shot in my old Browning and at 50 yards there was noticeably deeper penetration in the piece of plywood than with the Winchester Supreme #5 turkey loads that I normally use. I wouldn't try a shot that long but was trying to justify the price of the shells. :D

Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:26 pm
King of Spring

Gentlemen.. the nitros are pricey BUT..they are a VERY hard hitting and super patterning shot shell. Ray & Sandy are good folks,Ray has spent countless hrs testing and patterning all makes & models & chokes with various loads. I shoot them and they are in my opinion well worth the extra $$....... Also they seem to be VERY consistent ..My patterns are almost identical year in year out even with this years shells compared to last years shells etc.

PS.. Everyone..........I was hoping Jeff would have more data than he has right now... dont forget to post your pattern results folks!!

Max

Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:07 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Not exactly what Jeff had ask for, but I didn't have internet to look it up and had forgetten the criteria .. sorry Jeff..

I shot my gun two times last weekend.. just to ease my mind before season..

At 38 yds by my range finder

I put 210 shot in a ten inch Circle the first shot and 223 the second shot ..

Nitro Econo loads 4x5x7 3.5 inch .. 1187 SPS with 26 inch barrel.. Rhino Choke ..

Sorry no pic..

Lined in my Dad's gun also with a scope for this year.. After getting it lined in with cheaper shells the remington Hevi and some Winchester supremes we switched to the Nitro econos at same distance.. no comparision.. the Nitros outshot the others by a wide margin..

last shot was 180 shot in 10 inch circle.. Mossberg 835 28 inch barrel with Rhino choke

Take me Home Country Roads.

Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:51 am
Jake

Bench to the target at the IWL was at 35 yards.

Gun: Winchester 1300
Choke: Kick's .665
Scope: Bushnel Trophy with Circle-X
Shell: 3" Winchester Extended Range #6

# of hits on 8.5 x11 paper/3.5" circle:
1) 152/25
2) 161/26

Comments: I was very impressed with the new Extended Range shells. Nice even pattern. I used the Winchester High Velocity #5's the past few years and Activ 3" # 6's before that. The new ER's patterned better than the HV's or Activs. I hope I'll get to see what they will do to a gobbler this spring!

Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:34 pm
King of Spring

Here's what I've received so far...keep the data coming. I've only received a handful of responses in comparable fashion.

20 gauge 3" shells at 40yards (various guns/chokes/shells combinations):
Hits in 3 1/2" circle (6 shot only):
12 (or est 4.8% of total est pellet count)
11 (or est 4.4% of total est pellet count)
6 (or est 2.4% of total est pellet count)

12 gauge 3" shells at 40yards (various guns/chokes/shells combinations):
Hits in 3 1/2" circle:
15 (or est 5.1% of total est pellet count) 6 shot
15 (or est 6.3% of total est pellet count) 4 shot
17 (or est 5.6% of total est pellet count) 5 shot (Hevishot)
15 (or est 4.0% of total est pellet count) 6 shot
18 (or est 5.6% of total est pellet count) 5 shot
10 (or est 3.1% of total est pellet count) 5 shot

12 gauge 3 1/2" shells at 40yards (various guns/chokes/shells combinations):
Hits in 3 1/2" circle:
30 (or est 5.7% of total est pellet count) 4-5-7.5 combo shot

The moral of the story so far...as you will see - nothing that we didn't already know intuitively:
-Higher pellet count increases pattern densities at 40 yards and doesn't necessarily increase effective killing range beyond 40 yards.
-Putting >10-12 pellets in a 3 1/2" circle at 40 yards will get the job done. It appears that this density represents around 6% of the total estimated pellet count, any % >6% would represent an exceptionally tight pattern (be careful at close ranges).
-Consider shot size and density together. For instance which is better; 20 #6's or 15 #4's or are they about the same? Then consider what Hevishot does to this consideration...HS 7.5's hit like 6's; HS 6's hit like 4's; and HS 4's hit like 2's. (more on this later).

Any of the combinations listed above will kill a gobbler stone cold dead at 40 yards...I've highlighted in RED the only one I would be hesitant to hunt with.

Bold/Underlined combinations above are real killers...I'd hunt with any of these any time without any hesitation.

"A man who insists on adherence to the facts when it comes to his hunting exploits, size of fish...abilities of his bird dog...is an untrustworthy fellow. A fine sporting liar is a gentleman & someone whose acquaintance should be cherished" R. Ruark.

Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:39 pm
2 Year Old

Post benelli
I bought one of the new Benelli M2's the other day and was a little disappointed in the pattern. I shot several different shells in the full choke tube and really found the pattern to be way off compared to my remington 1187. Anyone else have one that could give me some tips as to what combo. works best?

Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:15 pm
Poult

Post thats bad
i have a mossberg 500a 12 g this my furst time turkey hunting i pat it at 40 y i have a under taker sftc in it i shoot at a paper plate an only got 15 shoots it it useing federal #4 2oz 3 in mag what do yall thank akn2hunt

Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:34 pm
King of Spring

Akn2hunt, You need to shoot it at 15-20 yds with some light loads to see where its shootin to center the pattern. Then shoot at 40. You should also try a smaller shot( 6s or 5s) with a smaller shot load ( 1 3/4oz Hv or 1 5/8) the tighter chokes like that better than the big shot /heavy loads. Hope this helps you some. Get your gun right before you go shootin at turkeys you don't want a miss or worse a crippled bird.

Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:31 pm
King of Spring

I HAVE A BROWNING GOLD HUNTER 12 GA. 3 1/2 .

BRILEY CHOKES 675 FOR HEVI-SHOT

REMINGTIN HEVI-SHOT # 6 1 7/8
12" CIRCLE @ 30 YDS = 302-318 SHOTS
12" CIRCLE @ 40 YDS = 171-184 SHOTS

NEW WINCHESTER XTENDED RANGE # 6 2.0Z
12" CIRCLE @ 30 YDS = 328 - 339
12" CIRCLE @ 40 YDS = 231 - 253
12" CIRCLE @ 50 YDS = 119 - 137

I'LL STAY WITH THE XTENDED RANGE
WHAT DO YOU THANK !

THANKS STRIKER1300

Last edited by STRIKER1300 on Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:43 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next