View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 7:31 pm

Turkey Calls 
Post Turkey Calls
Yes i was trying to make some slate style turkey calls out of hardwood and was wondering if anyone out there has tried and knows what the best wood and what should you condition the wood with?

Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:56 pm
Boss Gobbler

I have messed around with walnut and sassafras. Out of the two I liked the sassafras the best. It ended up with a more raspy sound which I like.

The walnut sounds nice also, a little more high pitched. Both of these were slate over glass.

To protect the wood I have tried a coule of things. Minwax Polycrylic in the aerosol can is very good. It dries very quickly. I put three coats of this on the pots and strikers and use 000 steel wool between each coat. I also have used Minwax rub on poly. I used this the last time and really liked the results. It takes a bit longer to dry between coats but the finish seems to go on better. I also used the three coats and steel wool with the rub on. I have been using the rub on for some shelves I'm making lately and it's working good.

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:59 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

TS, did you buy your pots, or make them yourself? I have toyed with the idea of trying to make calls myself, but I am not sure after only a couple of years of hunting Turkey, that I am knowledgeable enough to say that anything sounds like a Turkey :mrgreen: ! Plus, those little lathes aren't cheap!. I know Max has been selling some calls that, I believe, he has had someone assembling for him.

"Turkey hunting, when you knock all the feathers off it, is a game of infinite variables, played on a field of unlimited dimension, against an opponent who doesn't know the rules and wouldn't play by them if he did." ...Jim Spencer

Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:34 am
Boss Gobbler

I have been buying pots from http://www.customsawing.com/Pots.htm along with the glass and slate. They have very fast shipping and have a good product.

You can also get plastic pots from http://www.grassycreekcalls.com I think that Grassy Creek has a minium order or at least they used to. I believe it was $50. I've never ordered from them.

The wood lathes are expensive. I have been looking at the Delta mini-lathe and the Jet mini-lathe for awhile now.

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:10 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Thanks Scott, I will check out those sites. Did you have to buy quanity, or do they sell one or two of something?

"Turkey hunting, when you knock all the feathers off it, is a game of infinite variables, played on a field of unlimited dimension, against an opponent who doesn't know the rules and wouldn't play by them if he did." ...Jim Spencer

Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:01 am
Boss Gobbler

Custom Sawing will sell any amount. They do offer discounts if you order so many, but I have bought as little as one pot from them before.

Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:57 am
Profile WWW