View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 9:36 am

results from 04 spring 
Post results from 04 spring
its been awhile since i have been on here but thought i would be curious to see what you all did last spring.. me and my dad did excellent last year, my dad which is gobbstopper1946 he had a good year taken 3 real nice birds for me i got 4, i no 3 is the limit in tn. but drawed for wma.took the biggest bird i have ever harvested last year it weighed in at 23.5 had 1.125 & 1.5 spurs ... just curious hope you all repley....

Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:45 am
Longbeard

Between me and my juvenile delinquent(lol). we took four nice ones. No monsters, but all longbeards. 2 each.

Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:31 am
Boss Gobbler

Congrats Travis and Shopson... I had a great season here in VA as well as a couple other states. Hope it's as good next spring!!

Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:27 am
Profile WWW
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

that old oak tree is a special place , isn't it? I took birds in five states,felt very priviliged to do it....was invited to hunt in some very nice places and that has a l ot to do with the successes. Every year I go in to the season and I xpcet I will not kill a b ird through the whole season, but seem to luck in to some ...it is a fascinating sport ...great to see you posting on here again Travis...

Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:59 am
Longbeard

I Killed a bigun 20 pounds 11 beard 1 1/4 spurs.....but the I also called in my brother first turkey ever for him 19 pounds 10 inch beard and 3/4 inch spurs......ill never forget the look on his face........i called him into 10 yards when he shot him......woulda let him shoot sooner but it came into my left and he was on my right so he had to wait till it got to the decoy.............i already have pulled my stuff out and have it ready to goonly 4 months to go....wwwwwwhhhhhhhhhoooohhhhoooooooooooo

Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:15 pm
King of Spring

Like Freddy & GN said... I too had a great season here in SC and several other states as well...prvileged to have had the opportunity to share the bark of several old oak trees with great friends...so many memories made. Looking forward to more memories in 2005

"A man who insists on adherence to the facts when it comes to his hunting exploits, size of fish...abilities of his bird dog...is an untrustworthy fellow. A fine sporting liar is a gentleman & someone whose acquaintance should be cherished" R. Ruark.

Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:52 pm
King of Spring

I had an awesome season. I took one bird 20 1/2 lbs 1.25 in spurs, 9 3/4 in beard (rope)! My FIRST bird ever. Courteousy of Freddy McGuire! Amy and Freddy put me up and I had a great 3 day hunt! Hody came along one day to video me hunting with Freddy. I didn't kill one that day unfortunately, but I did get onto two birds that day. One, our setup wasn't perfect and the bird busted us, second one saw movement behind us, and he took off also. Just didn't have a shot, he was directly behind a tree! All in all it was the best hunting experience I have ever had! Once again, thanks Freddy, thanks Amy. You guys are special friends!

"Turkey hunting, when you knock all the feathers off it, is a game of infinite variables, played on a field of unlimited dimension, against an opponent who doesn't know the rules and wouldn't play by them if he did." ...Jim Spencer

Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:26 pm
Longbeard

My 04 season was great! Hunted in 2 states. Meet some really nice people. Heard alot of gobbling. Missed, let some walk(jakes), and got to carry several to the truck myself and with friends to. Can't wait until March.

Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:32 pm
King of Spring

Logged over 50 hunting hours this past spring, a record for me. Hunted with several close friends and did battle a couple of times without a kill. A great season none the less.

Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:51 pm
Profile YIM
Poult

No kill for me last year. Played the game with one bird for a long time (many days) here in Augusta. My "sweet spot" in Nelson never heard the first bird. Heard coyottes for the first time last spring mabey that kept the birds down?

Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:46 am
King of Spring

Only took one bird this past spring here in NY. He was a light weight at 16.9 lbs, but had some impressive 1" spurs on him and a 9 1/2" beard!!
his breast feathers were almost worn right off, so I figure him to have been quite a breeder!!! Took this rascal on 5-17-04 about 9am.

Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:12 pm
Boss Gobbler

I hunted alot and enjoyed every second of it. Had one gobbler at 7 yards and another at 25, never fired a shot :? :lol:

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:06 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

I tagged by first longbeard on the VA opener. That was a great feeling. Didn't get to hunt much after that.

Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:19 pm
Profile WWW