View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 7:38 am

Character gobblers vs. Kamikaze 2 year olds 

If given the choice, would you rather spend your season hunting a single old character gobbler or would you rather stumble across a random 2 year old kamikaze gobbler that's gobbling his brains out?
Old Character Gobbler 25%  25%  [ 5 ]
Kamikaze 2 year old Gobbler 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
Any Gobbler that will "Play the Game" 65%  65%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 20

Character gobblers vs. Kamikaze 2 year olds 
King of Spring

Post Character gobblers vs. Kamikaze 2 year olds
Which would you do?

"A man who insists on adherence to the facts when it comes to his hunting exploits, size of fish...abilities of his bird dog...is an untrustworthy fellow. A fine sporting liar is a gentleman & someone whose acquaintance should be cherished" R. Ruark.

Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:01 pm
Longbeard

i go after what ever gobbles and acts interested......

Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:15 am
Boss Gobbler

Diablo that is a tough one, describe how the old gobbler acts, will he play the game? If so and he gobbles you know it is all about playing the game. However I have ruined seasons chasing one bird. I think you need to take a break at some point and leave him alone for another day somtime to keep your sanity. :shock:

Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:32 am
Boss Gobbler

I like to find a kamakazie gobbler early and then spend some time with a character gobbler. Having to make a choice, it's the character gobbler.

Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:25 am
Profile WWW
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

i sorta lied in the poll and said old character gobbler....i guess i find all of them that have long beards aND GOBBLE TO BE INTRIGUING...WE TEND TO THINK WE ARE MORE CHALLENGED BY THE OLD BIRDS, BUT THE TRUTH IS THAT THE OLD ONES CAN BE AS EAGER TO DIE AS THE YOUNG ONES IF YOU HAPPEN TO BE IN THE RIGHT PLACE AND DO THE RIGHT THINGS AT THE RIGHT TIME....IT IS NOT EVEN NEW YEARS AND I HAVE SEEN A LOT OF TURKEY SIGN WHILE GROUSE HUNTING AND AM STARTING TO THINK ABOUT THEM WAY TOO EARLY...LONG TIME TILL MARCH

Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:51 am
Longbeard

I would like the kamakaze first then the old character but really anybird that will play the game will be fine.

Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:44 pm
King of Spring

I'm with Freddy, I would like to find a nice bird to play with and harvest, then I would try to play with the old character. HOWEVER, this can be a trap as many of you know. It is easy to be so focused on an elusive quary that you get tunnel vission blocking out the simple, and the obvious birds. You could loose a whole season like that, and to me, that is no fun!

"Turkey hunting, when you knock all the feathers off it, is a game of infinite variables, played on a field of unlimited dimension, against an opponent who doesn't know the rules and wouldn't play by them if he did." ...Jim Spencer

Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:53 pm
Poult

I had one bird last year every time I thought I had him figured out he would change the rules... I even put him to bed at least 3 times to get in early in the morning and have him go a different way. Too smart for me. Although chasing him was more fun than some of the "Kamikaze" birds I have killed. I have killed a bird with only one call. He gobbled his fool head off and ran right in, almost not exciting enough. Although he did taste good. I enjoy the hunt no matter what the outcome. Hope to find one of those Kamikaze birds this year for my 9 yr old to kill....

Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:27 am
2 Year Old

I usually try not to focus on one bird, usually the pressure begins to make them quiet. However last year it got personal with one bird. I tried for many mornings to call it in for a friend of mine that just started hunting and we never could close the deal. One morning I finally decided to go in and call a few times. Finally at 8am he flew down I yelped once more. It took about 45 minutes for him to come in, but I finally got him. Its always fun to walk out of the woods with a mature tom, character bird or not, but that day I was really pumped up about killing the turkey that no one else could.

Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:23 pm
King of Spring

I'll break from the norm on this one and say I really enjoy playing the game with a seasoned bird, even if it means going a season or two without a kill. Something about learning a particular bird. Mind, I will take that random bird if given the chance, but just not the same as learning a particular bird.

Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:49 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Like most guys, I love to drop the hammer on a wise old Tom with a huge rope and spurs, but those birds seem to be the exception. Also, I always thought I could tell the gobblle of a mature gobbler VS a youngster, but I can't, very tuff to do!! The only thing that seems to work well, is when you get a bird finally working, wait and see what shows up.
I always will pass on a jake, and hope for a longbeard. That's a restriction that I placed on myself many years ago, mainly to keep me hunting throughout the season, but also because I love those long spurs and hefty beards!!
:wink:

Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:01 pm
King of Spring

A two year old suits me just fine.. I enjoy those death wish birds just as much as the weary ones and maybe more.. cause I like to hear them gobbling and spitting and drumming their heads off then show up shortly after.. :P

Take me Home Country Roads.

Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:05 am
Boss Gobbler

Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:42 pm
Boss Gobbler

Right now I"ll take any gobbler that plays the game. Though I have been known to spend a season chasing one gobbler :P

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:02 pm
Profile WWW