View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 6:50 am

Got one the traditional way 
2 Year Old

Post Got one the traditional way
This year I thought I would give the traditional way of muzzleloading a try, so I purchased a CVA bobcat worked up some loads for it and after shooting several times I felt very confident at shooting at a deer at 50 yards. Fast foward to to Sat. Jan. 3 the last day of late muzzleloading. I got up at a little before seven grabbed my sidelock loaded a fresh load of fffg and conical bullet and headed for the woods. The darkness was just giving up to the new morning and the air was crisp, just before I got to the woods line I placed a cap on the nipple and started my trek to my stand. I wanted to make as little noise as possible while walking so I figured still hunting would be my best bet. I had made it about 75 yards in when something caught my eye. Four does were standing 40 yards above me on a ridge, I quickly rested my sidelock on nearby tree and prepared for a shot. The doe closest to me soon caught on that something was not right. I slowly cocked back the hammer, centered my sights behind her shoulder and began to squeeze the trigger. Boom!! smoke filled the valley, and when it finally cleared I saw the doe crashing down the ridge. My adrenaline began to creep in on me as I reached for my flask to put another charge down the barrel, I was shaking so bad that I almost spilt it on the ground! After what seem like a half hour I managed to get my gun loaded again, and figured I would give her a little time to expire. About 25 minutes passed and I hadn't heard any more movement so I began to take up the trail, it didn't go very far about 75 yards, when I reached her side I layed my gun and my possibles bag down, said a prayer to the man upstairs, and began to admire my trophy. All I can say now is that I am hooked on traditional muzzleloading and I am going to hunt all the next late seasons with my sidelock.

Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:58 pm
King of Spring

Nice job Beagle Man! How many grains were you using? I hunted the late season several years ago with a sidelock and loved it. Your story reminded me how much fun it is and that I need to do that again. Congratulations!

Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:38 am
Boss Gobbler

Congrats :D I used to have a side lock years ago and let someone borrow it while I was stationed overseas. Needless to say they ruined it by not cleaning it.

It can be alot of fun. Reading your story makes me want to try it again.

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:57 am
Profile WWW
2 Year Old

Hey Big Bird, I was using 60 grains of fffg Goex, which I believe is equal to 90 grains of ffg and the bullet was a 350 grain Hornady conical. When I originally made up this load I was using CCI #11 caps but I switched to Winchester magnum #11 caps because they have a little more blast just in case of moisture. Thanks for the congrats :D

Garrett

Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:02 pm
King of Spring

I commend you for taking up the traditional way - call me arrogant, but that is the only way I muzzleload hunt. Sidelock, black powder, open sights. Traditional. Primitave. The way it's supposed to be.
And yes, it is a ton of fun.

Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:00 pm