View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:33 am

Antler restrictions in Va. 
Longbeard

Post Throwing My Hat in the Ring...
Here's my take on the subject. Myself and a few neighbors have been practicing QDM on three farms totaling about 600acres since 2000. In that period of time we went from seeing and shooting any buck with a rack to letting everything less than a 2.5 year old walk. Before the 2001 season we were very lucky to see one or two deer per season that were older than 1.5 years of age between six hunters, and only a few that were less than 1.5 years old. Fast forward to this past season....there were no bucks harvested, but between the six of us we saw at least three different bucks that were 2.5 years old and I personally saw over nine different bucks! This was the most different bucks I have ever seen on these farms in one season and I have hunted them for 20 years.

In the beginning we took a few 2.5 year old deer, but now we let them go hoping to get a chance at what we consider a deer worthy of a wall mount. I am sure that a lot of the deer we pass are shot, but not all of them. I am in favor of implementing antler restrictions, but I believe that a person should be able to take any antlered buck first and then restrict the second buck. Antler points is probably the best and worst way to restrict the harvest. All of the 2.5 year old deer and a few of the 1.5 year old deer we see would be legal with a points restriction of at least four on one side. However, if the restriction was antler spread at least to the tip of the ears ALL of these bucks would be protected. The antler spread does carry a larger margin if error than the points restriction. So, even though the antler point rule would not be as protective it would be better than nothing IMO.

As for the East versus West, well I don't think you could impose these regulations on people shooting at running deer. There is not enough time to make a judgement call on a deer that is running through the woods.

Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:46 am
King of Spring

As hard as I have tried, I can't get thoses antler tender enough to eat. :lol:

Not sure where I stand on this. I see both sides.
The farm we hunt in southhampton County, nothing under 15" gets shots.
Now sometimes a guy will mess up and take one smaller.

Only thing is you might be letting them walk, but the club down the road has the " if its brown it's down rule".

As far as the west region, I have hunted this area for 38 yrs.
This yr I only saw three deer in 7 days. They were on the hard road at night.

I'm not sure what has happened in that area but it's pretty bad.

Just no deer at least where we were.

Tim

Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:44 pm
2 Year Old

I would propose a tag system that allows the hunter two options for buying tags West of the Blue Ridge;
1. A single buck tag that allows any buck.
2. Two buck tags that are limited to 15" ouside spread or greater (outside the ears).

The first option allows a beginner or hunter with limited time to shoot the first buck the hunter sees, but limits his damage.

The second option would be for the hunter only after quality bucks.

VAbirdhunter-if you are hunting in or near National Forest, you are not seeing as many deer because the forest is aging and the US Forest Service is not able to do many clearcuts thanks to the preservationists. There is limited food and cover in mature forests.

Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:03 pm
Boss Gobbler

I'm pretty much against antler restrictions...

Mississippi is now experiencing a problem with the "high-grading" of their deer. (4 points or better on a side). There is just no good way to do it other than by age and you just can't teach everyone how to age a deer on foot that easily.

Here are some scenarios...

Last year Diablo killed a 4.5 year old 6 pointer on our place... with a 4 points on a side rule he couldn't legally shoot that deer... that's crazy.

Width restrictions are also nonsense... I have seen some really old and really impressive bucks that didn't get outside thier ears but the biggest issue there is field judging those deer. How often do you have a split second for a good shot or a decision to shoot and maybe have only seen the profile of the rack?

Don't we hunt for fun? Is it all about big antlers? Is that what everyone cares about? Is Uncle Jerry happy with that spike or 4 pointer he shoots every year? Yep! Is it fair for us to say that a deer that we wouldn't shoot should be off limits to everyone else? Nope...

Here's the thing... There is a slow but sure VOLUNTARY passing of young bucks in a lot of places. Sure, you're going to have people and places that will be stuck in their ways for a long time, but more and more people are coming around. Continue to be patient and the "antler restrictions" will be self imposed and our deer herd will reflect that. In the meantime hunt for what makes you happy and everyone else willl hunt for the deer that makes them happy. There are plenty of bucks to go around... nice ones and small ones.

All this is from someone that passes a lot of small bucks every year and gets lucky every once and a while and kills a decent one. Would I like for everyone to pass on those small bucks that I did? Absolutely... but at the same time, they are hunting and they are enjoying the hunt so it's fine with me. And you know what... they CAN'T kill them all... or else we would never have a buck over 1.5 years old!

Here's a common thing I hear... especially in this area - "All I ever see is small bucks!". They immediately think there are no big ones around. Put out a trailcam and see what they are missing. The big bucks are there... they are just not as visible as those young ones. Deer become exponentially harder to kill as they get older and are certainly less visible... but they are there!

Anyway... sorry for the rant. I can see every side of this issue and this is just where I stand on it...

Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:16 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

I am with Freddy on the antler restrictions. What is going to happen when the Conservation police officer checks your deer rack and it is only 14 7/8" instead of 15". You can't tell that clearly from your tree stand many yards away. A ticket would not be the end of a great hunt I would want:!:

Secondly, some bucks never will develope a decent rack. Those need to be culled out of the herd. You need to get rid of bad genes!

I will agree that if we continue to kill all the young bucks, there won't be many large bucks! The older wary bucks will age and die, and there won't be any to follow them and become that older larger buck.

It is awesome to kill one of those magestic deer, and the antlers for some reason add to the adrinalin rush you get. But I would rather take a Doe and put meat in the freezer than take a younger small antlered buck. LET HIM WALK :!:

"Turkey hunting, when you knock all the feathers off it, is a game of infinite variables, played on a field of unlimited dimension, against an opponent who doesn't know the rules and wouldn't play by them if he did." ...Jim Spencer

Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:26 pm
King of Spring

Very good points Freddy. One other thing that bothers me, is that a consientious hunter and lawabiding citizen can make an honest mistake and end up getting ticketed.

Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:37 pm
Profile WWW
Jake

My opinion is based on hunting PA for 20 years and Virginia for 8. PA needed to do something in order to benefit the deer herd as yearlings were breeding many of the does, mature bucks breeding the does versus yearlings is good for the deer herd. Prior to antler restriction in PA, 90% of the bucks harvested were yearlings, now they shoot many more respectable bucks. PA has had their problems in many areas by shooting too many does, but that is another topic. Overall, I am very happy they have antler restrictions and these restrictions are not in place for youth or senior hunters.

From hunting VA for the past 8 years, it does not seem like they have the same problems that PA had. This is probably because there are less hunters, but also because of the long seasons. The first day of hunting in PA, there are a million orange clad hunters all hunting on the same day. With the liberal seasons in Virginia and the gun seasons being in the rut, you have the ability to hunt deer acting like deer, not deer running from other hunters in the woods.

If I had my option, I would have a limit of two bucks statewide, with the 2nd buck having to meet a minimum requirement, 3 points on one side. There are not that many mature 4-pointers out there. In areas that does need to be shot, you could also have to earn the buck by shooting a doe. If these rules were in place, hunters would att least start thinking about what is best for the deer herd and if they can only hunt a few days, they are free to shoot any buck they want.

Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:16 am
Longbeard

My short response to this topic is a two buck license with 5 antlerless tags. Hunters should be allowed to take whatever they wish during the full length of the season in many parts of the state. If someone is out to get a deer, they should be allowed to take one, buck or doe. I do agree with some sort of size restriction for the second buck tag, but what is best for the overall genetics of the herd, I do not know. I hunt Madison County primarily, as well as Montgomery, Giles, and Craig the past four years as a student at Virginia Tech. These places could withstand such regulations. However, I also hunt in the Bergton/Criders area of Rockingham County. It would not be a good idea to give hunters in western Rockingham over 3 deer tags in my opinion.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:19 pm
King of Spring

So what.....a 23 inch six point isn't a trophy?

Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:43 pm