View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 5:19 pm

What New Tactic/Skill Are You Planning to Utilize in Spring 
King of Spring

Post What New Tactic/Skill Are You Planning to Utilize in Spring
Thought I would get a jump on this coming spring. Each year I try to add another tool to my turkey hunting toolbox. What is everyone hoping to work on before the coming spring season? For me, the last several years I've been trying to gain some confidence in using a diaphram call. Still not there yet, but plan on utilizing the winter months to get some confidence. Hard for a friction guy to put a slate down long enough to learn something new.

Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:03 pm
Profile YIM
Poult

Post Tactic
I am going to work on my scouting and recording process this year and especially since I am new to VA. Keep working on the mouth call it took me a long time to get it right and working in the woods. Some poeple get have like my nine year old, I pick him up a single reed call last year and it is real good with it already.

Happy hunting to all.

Zero effect arrow rest
Tropthy ridge Sight
Golden Tip arrows
Muzzy broad heads

Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:13 pm
Boss Gobbler

Dale... in dealing with some tough field birds in recent years I want to try and see if I can find someone that has killed a hen this fall and have her mounted for a totally realistic decoy. I would prefer it be an adult hen. So, if anyone close by kills a hen this fall and doesn't want the skin, feathers, or head let me know and I'll take her. I've done some taxidermy in the past and would do the work myself to make her pretty sturdy and stable.

Have any of you seen the Turkey Call TV show with Cally Morris when he has 2 hen mounts out (he's an awesome turkey taxidermist and the hens looked SO real) and the big gobbler strutted around them and finally climbed up on the hen's back trying to breed her. The decoy stood up to his weight and if I'm not mistaken the guy shot the gobbler right off the hens back. That was cool! 8)

Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:18 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

To hunt without a vest as much as possible.
1 box
2 strikers and 1 slate
1 set of mouthcalls
1 crow call
small rolled up piece of waterproof cloth to sit on
clippers
toilet paper
small streamlight
small binocs

the responses to this should from those that know and have hunted with me should be very entertaining to say the least.

"A man who insists on adherence to the facts when it comes to his hunting exploits, size of fish...abilities of his bird dog...is an untrustworthy fellow. A fine sporting liar is a gentleman & someone whose acquaintance should be cherished" R. Ruark.

Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:04 pm
King of Spring

Jeff, What, no kitchen sink? How on earth will you survive?

Ron

"Turkey hunting, when you knock all the feathers off it, is a game of infinite variables, played on a field of unlimited dimension, against an opponent who doesn't know the rules and wouldn't play by them if he did." ...Jim Spencer

Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:21 pm
King of Spring

you need to understand just how long the OLD list of vest contents actually is...

"A man who insists on adherence to the facts when it comes to his hunting exploits, size of fish...abilities of his bird dog...is an untrustworthy fellow. A fine sporting liar is a gentleman & someone whose acquaintance should be cherished" R. Ruark.

Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:22 pm
Boss Gobbler

Diablo.... Just be sure to bring the TP... just the TP... that's all we need for you to work your magic!!! :mrgreen:

Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:35 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:05 pm
King of Spring

Its an old tactic I need to use more, Get out and get some more spots to hunt. You have to stay ahead of development around here.

Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:48 pm
Boss Gobbler

I'm planning on more scouting since I might be hunting new areas for spring gobbler. Not holding my breath on the forest service getting the regular area back up and running.

I also bought a Primos wing and video on clearance. Having been wanting to try one of those for awhile.

I also want to practice more on my mouth calls before the season starts.

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:00 pm
Profile WWW
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Diablo, I went to the basic ingredients you described a few years ago for hunts where I knew I had the potenetial for some big walks. Carrying enough water is the problem from as it gets hotter in the spring. I have been using what I think is called a "possibles bag" by some shooters...looks like a pouch daniel boone would have carried , or a woman purse with a long shoulder strap to wear like a bandolier...

Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:25 am
Boss Gobbler

GN... It's a good thing you pakced the "possibles" bag on the hunt last spring at Robbie's... I don't ever remember walking that far to get on a bird... :P

Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:29 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

I think I'm finally going to Buy me a Gobble Tube this year.. I've never used one before, thought they were too dangerous, and thought I didn't need one, I can make a decent gobble on my box call if I ever neeeded to I thought..Also going to work hard on my Fighting Purrs this winter with a mouth call

Last year I had two close enough to hear them Spitting and Drumming and walking in the leaves just over the birm of ridges for over an hour with each bird.. drove me crazy.. I've thought long and hard about those two different birds and what I could have done to make them comit that last little bit.. I tried every trick I had in my bag.. scratching, soft purrs, kee kees .. wouldn't budge them.. I'm hoping that a jake gobble or some fighting purrs may do it..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:03 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post tell me when you figure it out
WVB, having been in that "just over the ridge for an hour" situation at least two-three times a year for each of the last 30 year, I want you to share with me the answer for how to budge them over the edge of that hill. there are lots of things that work occasionally, but not one that will work everyime...

Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:51 pm
King of Spring

gn - agreed about the water thing...been thinking about an over the shoulder "wine skin"...but that's just another darn thing to carry.

Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:57 pm