View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2024 1:18 am

old box calls 
King of Spring

Post old box calls
My Mother was going thru some of my Dad's stuff today and found some box calls. Just wanted to know if any of you were familiar with this brand.
Calls are made entirely of cedar. Appear to be hand made as there are differences in each of the 3.

The only printing is on the lid and reads like this:

UPDIKE
ORIGINAL TURKEY CALL
Made By
A. D. UPDIKE

TALLAHASSEE, FLA.

Any info will be appreciated,

barry

Sun May 07, 2006 10:51 am
King of Spring

Barry I went on the WEB looking for any info on that call. Found nothing here. I have Earl Mackeral ( I think that how you spell his last name) book at the house. I look tonight to see if there is a Updike call in there.
Tim :)

Mon May 08, 2006 12:27 pm
King of Spring

I did some web-searching too, with no results. But, I'm sure you've exhausted that resource. I'm checking with some other contacts--some OTH's (Old Turkey Hunters)--to see if they have any info.

Mon May 08, 2006 12:31 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Updike is not listed in either the first or second call makers book by Mickel...thus, you have a rare call...depending on how old it is etc. On the otehr hand , the fact that it i s not listed is sort of like being left out of the senior class picture...it hurts the value in the eyes of many collectors who are buying calls for the $$ in the future. If it is a truly unque call, and clearly handmade and not just a call someone has out a stamped name on, then it might have real value i n the future despite not being listed. Also, if the call is signed and dated by he maker, then you have a lot more asset there ...I suspect since it was your families call, it is not likely to be sold, but you will only find out the true value when you list it for sale on ebay...seriously...can always start the auction and withdraw it before final sale date etc...

Mon May 08, 2006 12:54 pm