View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2024 5:23 pm

Mountain birds still gobbling? 
King of Spring

Post Mountain birds still gobbling?
Has anybody been hearing any mountain birds gobbling this week?

Hal

Fri May 05, 2006 11:55 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

They are gobbling like crazy in Frederick County which is in the northwest corner of Virginia . At least they are where I hunt .

Fri May 05, 2006 11:57 am
King of Spring

They haven't been in southwest Virginia..............at least not on the national forest land that I hunt. Last friday was the last time I heard a gobble. It's pretty funny, because last Friday was the best morning for gobbling yet. I heard gobbling up until 11:00 that morning. Then the next day, Saturday, I didn't hear a single gobble. i haven't this week either.

Ryan

Fri May 05, 2006 12:04 pm
King of Spring

I heard one on Monday. I never really saw the second gobbling peak after the hens went to nest. It's like breeding started heavily, the birds slowed their gobbling down and that was it. Hmmmmmmmm . . . thoughts anyone?

Fri May 05, 2006 1:26 pm
Boss Gobbler

PM... Here's my theory on the 2nd gobbling peak- it can happen, and there are signs of it some years and certain locales. However, I think that due to hunting pressue gobbling intensity decreases over the season. In a wild and unhunted flock you would probably see this more pronounced peak. Also, in areas with a large populations (read: lots of hens) this peak never really happens. They are with hens almost all season.

Now, I'm not saying that certain places don't experience this peak, just that it has not been the case for me in several years. Gobbling is normally pretty steady for me up until... well... about this time of the season when it becomes very hit and miss.

Just my 2 cents...

Fri May 05, 2006 1:46 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

I haven't been hunting the mountains but were i am hunting i am hearing less gobbling from birds but they are coming on in better. Hey i can live with that it would be nice if the bird you was on was gobbling his head off but as long as they come on in thats what matters!!

Doug

Fri May 05, 2006 3:19 pm
Boss Gobbler

Hunted with big bird yesterday (Friday) in Franklin county. Not a lot of gobbling but did hear several birds gobble a couple of times.

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Sat May 06, 2006 7:10 am
Profile WWW
Longbeard

I took a nice gobbler yesterday in Alleghany Co. he gobbled real good. I've been hearing others also.
Keep em Gobblin!
Struttinbird

Sun May 07, 2006 9:05 am
King of Spring

Great info, Freddy. Your $0.02 on turkey knowledge has a pretty good exchange rate!

As for the gobbling of mountain birds, after my all-day hunt Saturday, I'm inclined to say that the mountain birds are not gobbling, at least not anywhere that I could hear them.

Sun May 07, 2006 3:21 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Had mountain birds gobble 100 times last weds; more than that on one I helped a friend take on thursday; I did not hunt this weekend but another friend has taken birds this week end that gobbled their heads off according to him. This is all in Tenn mtns over 2500 feet.

Sun May 07, 2006 8:55 pm