View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:33 am

Virginia WMA/SP hunting? Powhatan, Amelia or Phocahontas? 
Post Virginia WMA/SP hunting? Powhatan, Amelia or Phocahontas?
I'm looking to hunt in VA next weekend and was wondering which WMA or SP is best out of these locations: Powhatan WMA, Amelia WMA & Phochantas S.P. It appears from the VA DNR website that Phochantas is excellent and the other 2 WMA's are very good. What do you VA folks think i.e. which is better...etc.?

I'm coming in from out-of-state (GA).

- JP

Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:33 pm
King of Spring

I've killed a few birds on the Powhatan WMA. Usually by this time of the season there's not as much pressure and it's not too crowded.

Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:18 pm
I've killed a few birds on the Powhatan WMA. Usually by this time of the season there's not as much pressure and it's not too crowded.

That place does look nice. Anybody have experience at Amelia or Phocahontas?

Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:49 pm
King of Spring

I hunted Amelia pretty hard in 2002 but not since then. It is an absolutely beautiful piece of property and the state has done an outstanding job managing it. There are birds there but each time I went, there were quite a few hunters chasing them. I really can't help you with the other two. Best of luck to you. Please let us know how you do!

Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:24 pm
Jake

Up until this spring, Amelia was my main hunting area for the past several years. I've killed a few birds there, however, the last couple of years bird numbers seem to have declined and hunter numbers definitely have increased. Before last season I would hear turkeys just about every trip. Last year I didn't hear 1 bird gobble during the 6-7 times I hunted there. Haven't been down there at all this year.

Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:37 pm
Hmm. It looks like Powhatan WMA or Phocahontas S.P. are my best bets. Any advice/experience with these areas?

Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:51 pm
Jake

When I lived in Richmond I hunter Powahatan, and it does have birds. Though gobbling is sometimes sparse or sporadic late. They are still there though.

Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:47 am
Dang, I'm torn between Powhatan WMA or Phocahontas State Parl...someone help me decide. :)

Mon May 01, 2006 9:52 am