View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 7:31 am

Season comments? 
Longbeard

Post Season comments?
How has your season been so far? Not measured only by the birds your have killed. But based on the birds heart called in and killed? Mine has been totally awsome there are so many birds out there this year. I have been able to call in over 10 mature birds so far this year. I have been taking my father in law who is almost 90 years old. His "aim" isnt what it used to be he has missed 4 birds and wounded one. I was unfortunaly unable to find the bird. I myself have been fortunate to take 2 very nice birds this year. Even this late in the season I am still able to go out and hear over 5 different birds in the morning. Just the other day I heard 10 birds.

Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:09 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
afull the season so far has been wonderful for me thus far. I have had the priviledge to be breaking in a new turkey hunter, my 10 year old daughter.

My baby girl doesnt want to shoot one yet so I have left the calling responsibilities to her.

She has called in 5 different longbeards for me in 3 trips together. I have taken two really nice tomsthat she worked in to range. One was 21lbs 9 oz 1"5/16 spurs and 10" beard the other was 18lbs 10"beard and 1" 1/8 spurs.

I have been going out and hunting or listening most mornings and located some other birds that we can hunt together but she has so many church and school activities that getting a hunting date with her is difficult.

Some of the birds around here are still really hened up and many of the birds I found in the preseason are ghosts now (other hunters have taken ).

Good luck the rest of the season! iisabigone

Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:04 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

very good season. surprised me to hear as many birds in East Tenn as I have been hearing. It has been consistently good for me this year and I have hit enough different places that I have avoided the typical "lull" that seems to hit me each year.

Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:49 am
2 Year Old

has been a great season compared to last year. Last year, I was lucky if I even heard a gobble. Only had one bird last year I ever heard. I worked him every day, until he finally would gobble and run away from me, because he knew I wasn't real.

This year, I hear birds gobble every time I go. I've called in numerous birds this year, and I'm about to stop carrying the gun and just carry the camera. Hope everyone else is having as much fun as I'm having. Now, if only I didn't have to go to work every morning. Only Saturdays left for me. :oops: :(

Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:30 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

I am one of the few that probably will respond this way but so far this has been the worst season yet. The only good thing is my son got one and i have called one in for a kill but not hearing the birds like past years. Just hoping for a complete turn around the second half of season!! Keep the stories coming i really enjoy reading them and seeing pics.

Doug

Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:06 pm
King of Spring

I could not be having a better season. Zach my 11..almost 12 year old took his first bird opening day. An older Jake 15lbs. The look and excitement he showed that day was one I'll never forget. It's one of those things ,when I start talking about it I get chill bumps.

Today was a good day as well. I had a fellow give me permission to hunt his 238 acer farm for the rest of the season.

He killed a bird last week over 19lbs.

I'll be there in the morning :)
Tim

Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:14 pm
Longbeard

The season gets better and better, I only have one tag left and with almost 20 days left I dont want to use it just yet. I took my Brother and Father this morning we heard 6 birds early they got quiet around 7:30. We just sat for a while untill a lil bit after 9:00 and started to call again heard 3 birds the next ridge over. After a steep climb to one of the birds level and above the other 2. 45 minutes of soft clucks yelps and purrs I was able to call in 2 very nice birds both with over 10" beard and one with 1" spurs & 18#'s the other 1&1/8" hook and 21#'s. My dad and brother both were sucessful. The bigger bird was shot first and the 2nd bird ran up to it and started floggin the far outta it. Messed its tail fan up and actually gashed the back open. I've seen birds get flogged but never any damage done untill now.

Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:07 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW