View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 12:54 am

What's the best week of the season? 
King of Spring

Post What's the best week of the season?
I know it may vary a little from year to year and will according to the state your hunting in but just wondering what yall think is the best week to hunt turkeys, if you could only have a one week season, and why?
- In Ga. i kill most of my birds the first week but that is probally because they have less pressure, and i hunt more and harder, but mid april would probally be the best hunting in ne ga i would say, you have a good chance of killing a bird at this time even when they have had some early season pressure, plus most of the guys are on the lakes catching crappie by then.

Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:10 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Some states think 1/3 to half the birds for the entire season are taken the first week of the season....that can not necessarily mean when the "best" hunting is..in the mountains the seasons are different in gobbling activity than in the lower elvation areas...in the Ga, Tenn , Va, NC or mountains the gobbling will be some weeks later and in West Va and Ky mountains it will be substantially later than the conventional lower elevation areas. Also, the best week is often impossible to predict and is often only determnable after the season is over. Alos each season the number of avialble "to be bred" hens in the yar has an awful lot to do with hte best week determination. In a low poult prodcution spring ,ie, not many young hens(like tenn this year), it can make for a great season for hunters lal lthe way aorund as the gobblers have less options for hens.imo. 2 cts.

Last edited by Gobblenow on Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:28 pm
King of Spring

If I had to pick one week to Hunt VA .. at least up here in NOVA.. it would be the week that April 20-25 falls on.. looking back through my Field Journals I always seem to either Kill a bird or Call one in that is Killed or at least get them into Shotgun Range every year during that time span..

Where I hunt in WV .. it is a couple weeks later.. I would pick the week that falls for May 3rd through 10th ..

Glad I don't have to pick just one week though.. as I like hunting the openers because of less pressure .. and it varies like you guys said.. I think this year in NOVA it's a little later, becuase it was so dry in March.. but again I called one in that met his Maker on April 21 this year..

My 2 cents..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:44 pm
Longbeard

In our part of the state if the weather is nice and we have good sun rises the opening week is the best no doubt. Sometimes if the early part of the season is bad we have some good hunting late in the season when the hens are on the nest.If the birds hasn't been messed with ( I'm not sure there is any such place )

Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:38 pm
2 Year Old

for me, the first week is usually good due to the pressure. After that, I tend to find lonely gobblers near the last week around lunchtime. I love that mid morning hunt late in the season. By them, most people around here have quit and i have the woods to myself

Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:04 pm
Profile YIM
Longbeard

like others have said it just depends, my uncle said he has his best luck the 3 and 4th weeks when the hens go on the nest full time the gobblers become more valurnable to calling. I think any time you are able to get out in the woods and hunt is the best time, haha....

Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:05 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
King of Spring

I'll give the smart allec answer. Any week you kill a turkey in :!: :shock: Seriously, I like the time as they start to gobble well, and are on the move looking for their sweetheart of the day!

"Turkey hunting, when you knock all the feathers off it, is a game of infinite variables, played on a field of unlimited dimension, against an opponent who doesn't know the rules and wouldn't play by them if he did." ...Jim Spencer

Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:31 pm
King of Spring

I can tell you which week it is this year :lol:

Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:37 pm
King of Spring

I've had the best luck the first week of the season....I think that's because the subordinates are more willing to "chance it" and come in......but, I've killed more bosses(birds with more than 1" spurs) the 3rd and 4th weeks....when the hens start setting.

One of my favorite times to hunt is a drizzly cool morning the 3rd and 4th weeks of the season.....when I hear that old hoarse gobble on them damp mornings, it's on!!

The last week hasn't been very good to me, historically.....I think I've only tagged two birds in my life the last week.

Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:10 pm