View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 4:54 am

is VA's chase season a problem? 
Longbeard

I've never ran into a coon or fox hunter while turkey hunting. I have ran into stray/wild dogs though.

Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:01 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Longbeard

Post NO Virginia does not have a size of land requirement for dog
No Virginia does not have a size of land requirement for hunting with a dog, and I thank GOD for it. If this was true hound hunting would be almost shut down. ( I still feel strongly about it and don’t coon hunt anymore.

The anti's tried this a year or two ago, they tried to pass a law that required the written permission of adjoining land owners, and it failed. I think a lot to the great work of Bob Kane's organization.

Guys in West Virginia they have had chase Season Year around since I was a Kid. I used to hunt every night I could get out. Heck some of the best scouting I have done is chasing those dogs. You find fresh scratching, tracks, and droppings and yes every blue moon might spook one off the roost. But it never hurt anything when daylight came. Also from what I can Tell West Virginia has some of the best population of turkeys too. To be honest there is way more turkeys in the area I hunt in West Virginia than around the Richmond area for sure. (Not knocking Virginia just telling my opinion)

Yes Dogs sometimes cause you a problem. Heck I have deer, Squirrels, hawks, and other Critters cause problems too. Actually I had a fox hound run in and spook a turkey last week. But again its all part of hunting.

If you think Chase season is a problem YOU are barking up the wrong tree.

Take Care,

Coach

Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:28 am
King of Spring

Post is VA's chase season a problem?
Hey Coach,
Thanks for your heartfelt opinion, to that you are entitled.
Having one of natures critters spoil a hunt is different, I feel the Hunting Gods deemed it neccessary to happen for a reason.
BUT if a fox hound, coon hound or bear hound runs in and spooks a turkey off from my calls on MY PROPERTY, I for one do not consider that to be a part of hunting.

You take care as well and hope to meet you at the cookout,

barry

Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:22 pm