View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 6:26 pm

Trespassing incident 
Poult

Post Trespassing incident
Had an interesting experiance turkey hunting Saturday. A friend and I took our kids hunting for Ohio's youth season. About 8:00 my 14 year old daughter killed her first turkey, a 14 1/2 lb jake. I took her, the turkey and gun back to the truck.

My friend and his son were going to try to set up on the next hill. My friend had not hunted the area much and misunderstood where to go. He ended up on a property that we didn't have permission to be on. The land owner caught him and to put it politely "chewed him a new one"

When my friend got back to the truck he told me what happened. Later another friend who was hunting in the same area told me he heard the yelling several hundred yards away.

So yesterday I tracked down the guy and apologized for my buddy get on his place and explained how it happened. Ended up the guy gave me premission to hunt and called my friend and apologized for "over reacting" Funny how things work out when you try to treat people the way you'd like to be treated!

Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:00 pm
King of Spring

Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:08 pm
Longbeard

Great example of how we should all represent ourselves in the woods. Also, welcome to the board ohiosam!!!

Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:11 pm
King of Spring

A good example of .. you never know if you don't ask.. You handled it the right way..

Welcome to the Board as well..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:46 pm
2 Year Old

you did a great job there. We've got a jacka$$ around where I hunt, his land connects to someone else private land and also to government land. He has nothing marking his land, no posted signs. Sometimes during the deer season when we have a big group, people end up on his land. He comes, cusses them out, sometimes, depending on who it is he'll wave his handgun around like a lunatic. He's smart though. He doesn't point the gun at you, and doesn't actually make threats with the gun. But, yeah, he's a nut, and there's no appologizing to him. The one place he does have posted signs is his driveway. Signs like, do not enter without permission, violaters will be prosecuted to full extend of the law. Even, this driveway is not a turn around. If you turn around here, you will be on camera and photos will be submitted to the police. I think it's funny. I turn around there all the time. :)

Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:20 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Waving a firearm around while threatening or making threatening gestures is a crime - Brandishing a weapon. That is the same as aiming at at a person I think. I have several law enforcement officers in the family and will check, but that guy IS breaking the law. You should have an officer hunt with you along the line sometime.
TScott - want to chime in here??
BB

Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:23 am
King of Spring

With all the bad things happening out there it is good to hear a story that turned out well. Way to keep your head and that other guy showed honor in calling your friend and apologizing. Most would never have the courage to do that. I think you showed great courage too in going and talking to the guy. Most would of just let it go and brooded over it.

My hat is off to you both! If you get a bird on his property you might want to give him part of the breast. Just a thought.

Vic

Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:18 am