View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 4:33 pm

Lost & Found 
King of Spring

Now that would just freak me out :shock: .

I might be okay if the sun was up and I found the body in daylight,
but I can tell yall right now. I would crap the ole draws if I came across one in the dark!!! :shock:
Tim

Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:12 am
King of Spring

I've lost lots of things in the spring woods. Lost a striker once but went back and got it the next day. lost countless mouth calls when i'd set em on my leg then doze off. Lost a few pounds each spring climbing up and down mountains and going without breakfast and dinner. I've lost a few jobs when i didn't come back from my vacation time because i was determined to show up a certain longbeard. Lost a girlfriend once because "my priorities were misplaced". Lost a few points off my gpa when in college each spring. Now i'm losing my mind in law school during exams when i watch each passing day the petals falling off the dogwoods. But all i've lost is no comparison to what i've found in the spring woods.

Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:14 am
Longbeard

I lost a knife that my Grandfather gave to me the year before he died. I was beside myself when I found out. The next christmas I received a gift from my hunting buddy (which is also my Uncle) and in it was the knife. It sat out in the woods all winter long and in WNY it was under about 100 inches of snow. He said that he was taking down some stand and he caught a shine of metal in the woods and went over to look at it and there it was. I now guard that knife with my life. I think my grandfather was trying to teach me a lesson, and he did.

What a neat post, it is nice to know that everyone loses something sometime.

Tom

Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:43 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Post lost & found
I've lost my pride many times in the turkey woods, and always found humble pie to replace it.

The neatest thing I ever found was a brass shotgun shell with a hole drilled into the primer end. Years later I was talking John Byrnes, he of turkey dog fame, and found that he had lost it. It had been part of a wingbone call that he had made. It still has a place on my shelf of turkey collectables.

barry

Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:49 pm
Jake

I found the guy leaning against a log about 30 yards off the hardtop road, I thought he was sleeping when I first saw him. This area was known as a drug and party hangout. So I just figured he was sleeping it off.

I went on down the ridge and hunted a while then a couple hours later returned and he was just sitting there leaning against the log. On closer examination I realized he was dead as a door nail. There was blood on his hands and pants that I could see.

When my buddy returned to pick me up we drove to the nearest store and called authorities to report our find.

After an investigation the police found out the guy had been robbed by some guys, shot with a small caliber weapon then dumped at that location.

iisabigone

Back in the 70s while I was going turkey hunting early one morning I found a naked old lady in a white cadilac in Axton, Virginia. Evidently she had become intoxicated and was driving around necked in the middle of the night.

It seems she had gotten disoriented in her condition and accidently taken a wrong turn and got stuck in a field trying to turn around.

She had soberd up somewhat by the time I found her I think. I went to a convienience store and called her sister to come and get her. Later that morning I drove back by that field and the caddy and Ms. April were gone.

Just goes to show you never know what your going to run into. So be prepaired.

iisabigone

Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:12 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

iissabigone...are you takeing any reservations for hunts? I would like to hunt with you...actually I would just like to go in and come out of the woods with you to see the stuff you see....good ones.

Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:10 pm
King of Spring

Post lost & found
iisabigone,
Man you've found some wild $#*! while hunting.

barry

Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:08 pm
King of Spring

GN - figures you would want to go w/ bigun. i think we need to keep a closer eye on you!!

Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:34 am
King of Spring

Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:21 am
Poult

About 5 years ago I saw a strutting tom about 250 away in a field and walking toward a ridge at the end of the field. I knew that if I could crawl on my belly to get below the ridge I could cut him off and he would walk right to me. Unfortunately, I forgot all of the zippers open on the vest I was wearing (my dads vest). I crawled several hundred yards through some really tall grass and got into position and sure enough the Tom walked right to me and I got him. By the time I got back to my truck I realized that I lost every call that was in the pockets (6 calls all of which were my dads) while I was crawling in the tall grass. I never found any of them but I was still happy to have gotten the bird.

Needless to say my dad got quite a few turkey calls for Christmas the following year.

Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:53 am