View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 24, 2024 9:26 am

What's the birds doing !! 
Longbeard

Post What's the birds doing !!
Hey guys what's the turkeys doing in your neck of the wood?They have stopped gobbling on the roost in the evening.They are gobbling one or two times at first light and not much at all after they are on the ground.Maybe when it clears up they will start back.Still seeing plenty in the hay fields with the ladies.

Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:58 pm
King of Spring

CT I am in Eastern VA. and the birds here are gobbling real well on the roost in the morning. If you can get ones attention he will probably gobble on the ground. Mostly, I think they are pretty well set with girlfriends right now!

"Turkey hunting, when you knock all the feathers off it, is a game of infinite variables, played on a field of unlimited dimension, against an opponent who doesn't know the rules and wouldn't play by them if he did." ...Jim Spencer

Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:07 pm
2 Year Old

In southern West Virginia and eastern KY, I got two words for ya,,, HENED UP :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Hopefully things will change withWV coming in in the morning.....

Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:26 pm
Jake

cottontop I had an interesting experiance Saturday morning hunting in the storm that we had. I was set up in a big horseshoe shaped field with a decoy out in front of me. While it was thundering and lightning before daylight a gobbler was hollering his head off to the south of me apporximatly 200 yards in the head of a hollow on the side ofa high knob south of me.

As soon as the rain let up hens started coming out in the field from different directions (7 of them feeding around and came to my calling and decoy) one of them knocked my decoy over and they eventually headed over to where the gobbler was.

The gobbler never answered any of my calls, he only gobbled to the thunder and lightning earlier.

My take on this situation is that the hens are nesting and laying and still going to the gobbler to hang out a while and then returning to the nest.

Im hopeing the hens will be sitting on the eggs good by the end of this week and this tom my walk a little way to investigate the strange new hen near the blind I built saturday morning 75 southwest of where he has been roosting the last three weeks.

He has his pick of three different roadbeds to walk from his roosting area to me and my daughter that all end up in shotgun range of the blind.

Im just hoping my 10 year old daughter and the 20 gauge can "get er done".
iisabigone

Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:16 am
Longbeard

Jamie I had a good/not so good hunt this morning also. Was hunting on a farm close to my house and at first light two old birds and two jakes were gobbling there heads off.All within 200 yards.They flew down and all headed down to the river bottom.Next time I get to go I'm going to the bottom and set decoys out and hope they do it again.At least one of the birds sounded like a good bird.My bird out at Southeastern (Johnnys) got bumped to 8 th place,it was 5th.Would like to get that trophy.Later !!!

Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:46 pm
Longbeard

Post What'sthe birds doing
I've been hunting Rappahannock County since the beginning of the season.Didn't hear a single gobble until this past Saturday 4/22.I had 4 gobbling all mourning until 10:45 then stopped.I have heard several hens and spotted 2 hens since the start of the season.

Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:12 pm
King of Spring

Cottontop - I stopped in Southeastern today. I think I saw your picture with your big bird. Your intials W.C? You're still up pretty high on that board! I spoke with Mr. Hundley - he's going to be hunting up around Richwood the last week of the season too. Said he'd either be staying at the motel or camping along the Williams river.

Fri May 05, 2006 8:40 pm