View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 24, 2024 8:25 am

Helicopters, gobblers, and raccoons 
2 Year Old

Post Helicopters, gobblers, and raccoons
Yesterday was the first day I could get out turkey hunting. I met with my friend on Friday to make our game plan for Saturday morning. The weather man was calling for rain Saturday from Atlanta to New England and I said if it was raining buckets, that I was not planning on going. I woke up before the alarm which was set for 5 AM and saw that it wasn't raining.. I called my friend and he said lets go at it. I met my buddy and we drove to the farm we have permission to hunt on. We set up where we have killed gobblers in the past and they were just not talking, so we moved about 8 AM to another place we could hunt. We walked up a ridge, let out a couple yelps and BAM...Goooooble. We dove for cover and got ready. He was calling, I was calling and the gobbler was coming. One of those suicide gobblers that just comes in on a run. I was out in front for the shot because my buddy has already got one in VA and one in MD. The turkeys gobbling, my friend is yelping, and I thought, this one is in the deep fryer. I have the gun up where I just KNOW he is going to show himself. All of a sudden here comes a helicopter over the woods! A freaking helicopter! Not just once, but it circled around us 3 times! It was overcast so he was below the clouds and above the trees. Now, I love the military because I spent 21 years in the Navy and receive a nice check every month, but not a CH-46 double rotor helicopter now, going WHOMP, WHOMP,WHOMP. Here comes the turkey, here comes the helo and when I finally see the bird he was twenty yards away and off to my right. All I see is a wing and tail and he's sneaking. No doubt as annoyed at the helo as I am. I swing the gun around and he busted me, ducked, and just off took off running. I look at my friend and he looked at me like I CAN'T believe that just happened. 8:45,, we moved back to where we were earlier on the other farm. Set up on a field cause it's raining. Yelp, cluck, yelp, cluck, yelp, yelp, yelp...Nothing.. And then the heavens open up and here comes the rain. I mean pouring..All of a sudden these dogs start barking a few hundred yards away and making quit a ruckus. I'm like, what now! At first I thought it was stray dogs running deer but they were not moving. My buddy and I head over to see what's going on. We get closer and closer and see these two ugly dogs barking around a tree. He say's, ya wanna go see what's over there and I'm like, Why not! The morning can't get much worse. So, we go over, chase the mutts away, and here is one of those trees you see that is split up the side. We look in there and here is this very agitated raccoon. He's mad and growling and hissing and pretty perturbed.. We backed off and finally he comes out and scrambled up the tree, he's finally away from the dogs and probably in a better mood. By now I'm soaked, the raccoons soaked, my friend is soaked, and all we could do is laugh. I just wanted a few hours in the woods turkey hunting with no rain and got to work a gobbler, had the incident with the helo and met up with a raccoon.. Not a bad day in the woods if you asked me. Sorry so long, but that is one for the books.

Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:50 pm
King of Spring

I get birds to gobble sometimes at jets flying over, never a heli. Weird hunt, but one to remember.

Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:01 pm
Admit it, just for a second you wondered if 2oz of #5 could bring down that chopper! :wink:

Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:44 pm