View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 3:23 am

bad weather for hunting today 
2 Year Old

Post bad weather for hunting today
anyone have good weather today? My friend and I went out this morning. I carried the camera to try and get first hunt on film. Found a bird that sounded very big. He had a very long, deep gobble. We set out right underneath him basically hoping he's fly down to us. When he got of the roost, he hit the ground running, away from us. He gobbled every 20 seconds or so, but each time he was like 50 yards further away from us. A storm was coming quickly so we decided to move fast. We ran up this old trail to get closer to him, and he kept running from us. We finally got about 80 yards away. By this time it was thundering, lightnings, and pouring down raining. I had to put the camera away. Turkey was gobbling non stop. I'd never heard anything like it. Still, I couldn't see it. I was set up about 20 yards behind my friend, hoping he'd give up and go back to the truck. I was getting wetter and not in the mood for it since I've already bagged 2 birds. Well, it didn't end well. He crawled closer and closer b/c the bird wouldn't budge. Finally he got withing 40 yards of the bird and rushed his shot trying to get out of the storm. This morning, an old smart bird got a whole lot smarter.

Any idea why he was running from us first thing? Think the storm moving in had anything to do with it? I've never seen a turkey run away, and gobble the whole time.

Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:44 pm
Profile YIM
Yeah it was raining pretty hard here in Wythe county even though several birds started gobbling after 9 but couldnt do anything with them. Anyways everyone runs into birds that gobble and walk away. Its usually 3 things. If they have a stingy hen she will walk you to death and she will never open her mouth to let you know she is there. Or he could be going to a strut zone. Or he could be a sub dominate tom that had his butt whipped. Those are probably your 3 main reasons though you know how them turkeys can be some times :D

Nate

Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:00 am