View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 3:56 pm

Young man's first longbeard...fun stuff 
King of Spring

Post Young man's first longbeard...fun stuff
Hunted this past Sunday with son of my daughter's HS softball coach and one of his friends. Cold for down here....probably 40 and with the wind I'm sure it was in the low 30's at daybreak. We managed to hear 2 gobblers roost gobble maybe 1-2x each but they were off the property, so with nothing much going on, it was time to do a little trolling and maybe lay out the chum line. We were trolling and glassing along a nice ridge scattered with small fields and hardwoods. We had just crested a nice ridge when we spotted a jake about 75 yards out in front of us feeding along. Somehow we managed to avoid spooking it. Once he stepped out of view we slipped into the shadows and eased a bit closer for a better look and to develop a plan. I eased out into the opening a bit and glassed farther out the ridge and saw a turkey. It didnt look like the same bird...wider across the shoulders. As it leaned forward to walk, I confirmed it definitely a different gobbler as i could see its beard hanging between its legs. Time was 900a. Having seen that, our plan was to try and make a huge loop down and around out of sight to try to get in front of these guys farther out the ridge...which we were able to do pretty quickly. We found a small secluded field on the ridgetop which we suspected they were heading for. We slipped into position with cody on the left side of the little path leading to the field and lynn and I on the right side. we were about 20 yards from the field edge. time was about 910a. I called softly onthe slate and mouthcall not expecting to hear anytying and i was right. :wink: in a minute however we could hear spitting and drumming. I like it when that happens. 8) I looked over at cody and his eyes were as big as frisbees. I suspected that he might be looking at the gobbler. the spitting and drumming was getting closer and closer. BANG! 920a. In a flash cody was on his gobbler...he must've got there behind the pellets and in front of the wad. He's killed a couple of other turkeys but this was his first longbeard and the first gobbler he ever had that played the game and put on a show for him! boy was he pumped. I was glad to be a part of this event. reminds me of why i like this sport so much!

"A man who insists on adherence to the facts when it comes to his hunting exploits, size of fish...abilities of his bird dog...is an untrustworthy fellow. A fine sporting liar is a gentleman & someone whose acquaintance should be cherished" R. Ruark.

Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:36 pm
King of Spring

Sweet! Man even the trees down there are bare1

Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:11 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

congrats to both of you..nothing like it.

Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:13 pm
King of Spring

I love woods like that with a gorgeous green blanket underneath. I've always wanted to watch a turkey put on a show in such a pretty spot!!

Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:02 am
King of Spring

Yep, the fever will surely stick now. Congrats to the both of you.

Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:05 am
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:17 am
King of Spring

That's what it's all about. Congratulations guys!

"Turkey hunting, when you knock all the feathers off it, is a game of infinite variables, played on a field of unlimited dimension, against an opponent who doesn't know the rules and wouldn't play by them if he did." ...Jim Spencer

Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:34 pm
King of Spring

Awesome Diablo! Another great season unfolding for you lowcountry guys!

Great recap! Congrats to all!

Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:04 pm
King of Spring

Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:38 pm
Longbeard

Way to go Diablo!!! I can't wait to get my son out next year for the first time...

Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:19 pm
King of Spring

Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:13 pm
Profile WWW