View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 11:32 am

In the game 
King of Spring

Post In the game
Went out this morning on APG. Got into a good area and heard birds gobbling pretty hard from 0545 to 0630. Then the woods went silent. Around 0730 we moved towards the gobblers and set up again. At 0815 I changed from my power crystal to my box call. Did a series of purrs and a couple yelps and heard a very faint gobble. About 10 minutes later yelped some more and definitely heard a gobble and it was closer. Worked the bird some more and he was coming in. I am guessing the bird was about 150 yards away around 0900. A few minutes later I heard something to my left and saw my hunting partner coming over the hill. Last time I heard that bird. Bummer! I had a great setup too. Oh well, that is part of hunting. Hope to get out Saturday.

Vic

Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:08 pm
King of Spring

Keep after em. Can't kill em from the couch.

Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:51 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

sounds like you might me better of going solo.....

Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:09 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

When I hunt w/ somebody we either hunt together or go in opposite directions and meet back at a predetermined spot, so as not to have that occur. Good luck!

Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:30 pm
2 Year Old

yeah, definately need to know where each other are so you don't shoot each other.

Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:11 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

When I hunt w/ somebody we either hunt together or go in opposite directions and meet back at a predetermined spot, so as not to have that occur. Good luck!

Ditto.

Either stay together, get apart--way apart, and STAY WHERE YOU'VE AGREED!! Overlapping territories like you experienced are, in my humble opinion, taking an unnecessary risk in the turkey woods.

Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:15 pm
King of Spring

Appreciate all the responses. I thought we had done much of what you all said. He was on one side of a rise and I was on the other about 75 yards apart. We were both cold calling and I got the hit. We said we were going to stay put until 0930 and longer if birds were in play. However, he broke because he thought the birds left, but in fact they were on my side of the rise and he was hearing the echo. I will have to insist next time that he sticks with the plan. If he had waited until 0930 I might have filled my tag. Patience is a lost art with many people today. I would think Tom will teach him better. He has me!

Thanks for all the help. I don't have anyone to teach me lessons learned so I am oh so greatful for this site. You all are the greatest.

Vic

Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:21 am
King of Spring

Vic, When I talk about being apart I'm talking about a half mile or at least a couple hundred yards or more as in "you hunt 1 side of the farm and I hunt the other". If you're only 75 yds apart you're better off hunting together so you can coordinate and for safeties sake. 75 yds apart and not knowing where each other is or is doing is a tactical and safety mistake IMHO . Good Luck!

Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:45 am