View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 9:26 am

Short, but oh so sweet 
Longbeard

Post Short, but oh so sweet
First off, a big congratulations to all that have gotten out and thoroughly enjoyed themselves in turkeytown.

Well, after working a bird for most the morning on public land for the opening morning, somebody snuck in and shot twice at the gobbler as he was just over the rise from me on a little finger ridge. This happened around 9:15am 4/8/06. This was a first for me. I hope it never happens again or to any of you. PLEASE BE SAFE OUT THERE. I am happy to say things got much better.

Monday I took a young hunter, we heard zero gobblers until 10:30, and we had a nice bird workin about 50 yds out, but the hens pulled him away from us. Later we saw him out in a pasture with the 4 hens, he had about an 11" beard, I hope to get the youth on this bird later.
Tuesday I heard nothing all morning until I went to a second spot, broke out the Haydel crow call GN had been suggesting I order for years (finally did this past off season) and a gobbler sounded off. He sounded off constantly to it-worked like a charm to keep his location pinned down. I set up on this bird with my single man show camera system (funny set up in itself) and I had not one, not two, but SEVEN jakes come into my set up at about 9 yards-all the while with a big strutter just off in the distance. He gave some glimpses of himself, but never a shot, soon it became high noon and I was crawling out of the woods.
Wednesday I went back to public land with my father, no gobbling birds, so we hit this same late morning spot hoping to find the ole'boy hanging around, sure enough he still hated crows. This time we were able to set up on him better, and I dropped him at 11:34am 21lb 2oz, 9.25"beard, 1" spurs.

Thursday my father and I went to public land again in a different location, got on a bird at 6:45am, set up on him 3 different times with my father as the shooter, at 10:00am after swinging completely around the backside of the mountain to regain the high ground position on this gobbler, my father and I were able to both sit at a huge oak tree, shoulder to shoulder and watch this bird strut and spit/drum his way up to us from 10:15ish until his demize at 10:35am. As he was coming in my dad said that if I had a shot, take the "rear end" only he didn't say "rear end". It was awesome, I've never taken a bird literally along side my dad. The gobbler stepped up on a log at 32 yard getting ready to drop back off onto the same open bench we had been working him from, and I dropped'em. 17lb 10oz, 8.25" beard, one leg had NO SPUR, and the other had a 0.5" spur. Crazy bird! Glad he's out of the genepool!

Friday I got soaked alone. Only gobbled at Thunder.

Saturday I woke this morning on a mtn in my pack tent, somehow survived the lightning/Thunder storm to end all storms that night in wester mtns, heard zero gobbles until my lifeless body reached the last summit I was willing to walk to. At 11:01am I hit my power crystal, and got the first gobble of the morning. At 11:14am I shot that national forest gobbler. Field dressed wt of 15lbs 4oz, 10" beard, 1" and 7/8" spurs. I made it back to my truck at 1:40pm.

What a great first week, not so much because of the harvest, but each day I felt I there was a chance at a bird, got a little video photage and I have some great memories with my dad and I fit in some wilderness "jeremiah johnson" hunts as I call them. Time to gear up for WV and PA, all the while hoping to call into range some birds for 2 or 3 kids.

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE! Be safe. Pics hopefully will come eventually. I really need a digital camera, this I know.........

Tburt

Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:15 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Because he goes back on to places that not many people get to , and kills his birds there , I have to say that I admire this hunters approach and success about as much as anybody I know. I used to do a lot more of this crazty stuff myself, and my hat is off to those who still can do it. Great job.

Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:39 pm
King of Spring

sounds like your having a good year. Congrads

Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:05 pm
King of Spring

Todd... Congrads on a great week of hunting. The only problem is you making it look so easy!

Doug

Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:43 pm
King of Spring

gptta love it.
Way to go and congrats on some great hunts.

"A man who insists on adherence to the facts when it comes to his hunting exploits, size of fish...abilities of his bird dog...is an untrustworthy fellow. A fine sporting liar is a gentleman & someone whose acquaintance should be cherished" R. Ruark.

Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:55 pm

Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:40 pm
King of Spring

You da man. Congrats on aome well earned birds!

Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:18 am
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Way to go.. tagged out already.. Congrats, on some tough old Mountain birds..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:16 pm
Boss Gobbler

Congrats... you earned everyone of them for sure! Great hunts and incredible persistence!!!

Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:31 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Hey Tburt - Congrats again. Still looking for those pics. Also - any natives on those back mountain hunts? I know some of your haunts include the little guys...

Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:24 pm
Longbeard

Rhino-you bet about the natives, I am hoping to take my dad on a hunt/fish camping trip to one of my favorite counties later this month or early May for some virginia mtn chars! :D

Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:45 pm
Jake

Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:54 pm
King of Spring

Max

Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:19 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Wow. That's a heckuva way to lead off the spring! Congratulations and good luck in the other states too!!

Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:24 pm
Boss Gobbler

TBurt glad you are having some success. Sorry about the other shooter, but that sure is public land. Be safe. Good luck in WV and PA.

Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:04 pm