View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 5:29 pm

Opinions on using gobbler decoys.... 
King of Spring

Post Opinions on using gobbler decoys....
You may have notices lots of folks using real gobbler and hen decoys. I've seen them used on several videos over the past couple of years.
Certainly not a good idea in states that permit the use of rifles for sure. And certainly not a good idea on public land anywhere. Obviously if used, the place would need to be safe and protected.

Just curious on everyone's opinions here.
Would you use one if you had it? If so, when, where, how?
If you wouldn't use one...why not?

"A man who insists on adherence to the facts when it comes to his hunting exploits, size of fish...abilities of his bird dog...is an untrustworthy fellow. A fine sporting liar is a gentleman & someone whose acquaintance should be cherished" R. Ruark.

Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:36 pm
King of Spring

I would love to try one on some of these old tough Field Gobblers I contend with every Spring, but I'm scared to in VA or WV because of the R-word and some of the folks I know who will shoot at Gobblers in Strut anytime they see one..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:01 pm
Longbeard

A taxidermist friend of mine just made a real hen decoy that has detachable legs and a detachable tail. If that thing doesn't do the trick nothing will. I'd probably feel ok using a hen decoy here in PA, but I'd never attempt to use a gobbler decoy... especially one made from a real bird.

Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:05 pm
King of Spring

I'd consider using these just before committing suicide......If the Southern Posse didn't kill you with a bullet, a man would probably have a heart attack carrying it around the mountains here.

Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:05 pm
King of Spring

Post Gobbler decoy
Would be fun to set up one...if on private land..for picture taking, blasting one plus just watchin the birds....but no way here where I hunt....Knight & Hale sure talks about Ole Pretty Boy....seems like he gets the job done... :)

Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:14 pm
Profile YIM
Boss Gobbler

Had a scare with a hen decoy several years ago, no way I'm going to try a gobbler on private or public. I have always said the kind of person to shoot at a turkey noise is the same kind of person who does not read Posted signs :wink: I would guess they would be the same to shoot a non-moving gobbler decoy to.

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:09 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

bump - thanks freddy for adding the picture

"A man who insists on adherence to the facts when it comes to his hunting exploits, size of fish...abilities of his bird dog...is an untrustworthy fellow. A fine sporting liar is a gentleman & someone whose acquaintance should be cherished" R. Ruark.

Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:26 am
Boss Gobbler

In the right place, in the right position, at the right time I would use it...

I've had a few tough old birds that needed a dose of a strutting decoy for sure...

Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:54 am
Profile WWW
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

I think it has a lot of potential ...good and bad potential. I would only use it in a secure place where any poacher or rifle shot at the decoy could not possibly be taken in my direction. I have a foam decoy made a few years ago called a big bubba, I think...using a real jake fan o n the thing, it is indistinguishable from a live jake in strut from 25 yards....I have had gobbelrs come in to this thing in two different ways..one charged it like a race horse, i mean sprinted faster than I have ever seen a turkey run under any circumstances...came from behind me and shot by my with its beard flowing up over tis back, and the real bird jumped straight up in the air and came down on the decoy and when it collapsed under the attack,. the real bird flew out in nano-second. Other dominanat birds have sturtted straight in , spitting and drumming and bumped it ...think :rainy day, in front of a dry blind(with a recliner inside,) cozy and goodnapping opportunity, and you could occasionally open your eyes to see if the bobber was still out there above water , so to speak....I sort of like running and gunning, but if you really had to kill a field bird...well....

Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:15 am
King of Spring

Post oppinions on using gobbler decoys
Been using 'em for bout 6 years now. Seen some of the best shows ever when gobblers attacked. You actually have to yell at them to get'em out of strut sometimes.
My brother did a homemade mount on a gobbler in semi strut we plan to use this spring for some videoing. Hope to show you some video at the annual cookout.
Of course we are careful AS TO WHERE we use this type decoy.

barry

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:13 pm
Boss Gobbler

Gobbler decoy does his thing - From Diablo...

2 of three jakes came in to investigate this gobbler decoy named UNO. THey were pretty inquisitive and at times displayed some, not much, but some aggressive head coloration and body posture. Then about an hour and a half later, we called in an adult hen, she had an adult gobbler in tow. When he saw UNO, he broke into that aggressive low walk and sprinted 150 yards to him to obviously fight. He stopped about 10' away and broke into full strut and side stepped up to UNO getting ready to flog him no doubt. My partner killed him before he had a chance to attack the decoy. I have never in my life seen a gobbler's head so red...almost flourescent. White skull cap, white cheek pads and the rest a vibrant red. Amazing experience to say the least. It was a very interesting day to see all this different turkey behavior directed towards UNO.
18lbs, 10" beard, 7/8" ivory spurs.

Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:22 am
Profile WWW
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Jeff, what kind of dolly wheels do you use on that decoy. or does it have trailer tires???...does it have a trailer hitch on the front? Can you tow it down the road at speed limit without the feathers getting blown off....surely you do not carry it by hand> :>)

Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:08 am
King of Spring

Definately interesting. In the woods where TScott and I hunt, our truck would get shot at just driving in there!

Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:54 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

We've been hunting some tough NON-GOBBLING field birds and it seems we may have figured out a tactic that's exhibiting some effectiveness. UNO struck again Saturday morning as the combination of soft period calling and his presence seems to be working. After another non-eventful gobbling morning of hearing perhaps 4 gobblers gobble a combined total of 4x...we decided to sit tight and not try trolling for a vocal bird. 2 hours later, again patience was rewarded as 3 longbeards and 2 jakes came in to inspect UNO. These guys exhibited some dominance displays, but not a lot. One was strutting. My partner killed the biggest one at 830a. He sure was pruod of it and even moreso when he saw that it had 6 beards with a combined length of 38.5". This 22 year old gobbler mount has made for some interesting mornings the 3 times he's been out.
He's helped bring in, 1 hen, 5 jakes and 4 longbeards.

GN - he's not the easiest thing to carry across a pasture field and there's usually not a lot of moving around after he's set up, but the adventures that are likely to follow make the carry worth it. I just wish i had access to a video camera of the quality that freddy is shooting.
:D

Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:42 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

incredible beards..you need to post this seperately because a lot of folks might other wise miss this incredible picture. Congrats to you and your ol college pal...tha is one fine specimen. Now tell us agin how UNO got his name??

Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:46 pm