View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:07 am

Taxidermy?? Do It Yourself?? 
King of Spring

Post Taxidermy?? Do It Yourself??
I finally did it!! :D :D Thanks for all the congrats & encouragement! Y'all are the best!

Now what? I've taken the best care I could of the fan & beard. I've been doing some reading on how to clean, care for, and mount a tail fan & beard. But, I sure as heck don't want to ruin the mount of my first bird!! I want it to look perfect!! What do you guys think? Should I do it myself or let a pro handle it? I read somewhere about rinsing the fan in a bucket of soapy water, but I'm scared to do that!! I don't think it really needs it anyway. I saved a good number of the rump feathers too (along with the skin they were attached to), because they were just too pretty to throw away. I want to include as many of them as I can.

I wonder what cool things I can do with the wing feathers? I want to make calls from the bones, but I don't want to throw away all of those feathers! I guess you can't save everything! Maybe I should have just done a full mount!! Too late for that though.

Also, I haven't seen a ready-to-use mount/plaque that will accomodate the fan, beard, AND spurs.

(I imagine this has been a thoroughly discussed topic on the boards in the past, so if someone wants to simply re-post a previous thread, or just direct me to an archive or something, that would be fine.)

Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:27 am
Longbeard

Post Congrats!!!!!! Sure glad you where successful
OK, now for the tail fan. You can call me and I can walk you through it. But it is not terribly hard. One thing to remember, it will look like heck for a while, and then it will straighten out. So don't get discourraged and stop.

First, skin the tail skin back all the up to the base of the tail feathers. Be careful as the skin is really thin. On the front of the tail is an oil gland, it has to be removed.Then tak a SHARP knife, and dont cut through the skin, but cut the tail mussel away by running the knife down the edge of the quills. (do this on Both Sides) This will leave a lot of FAT between the quills that MUST be removed. the best way is to but a BRASS wire wheel on a DRill Go OUTSIDE (as it will fling fat onthe ceiling if you don't). then run the brass wire between the quills to remove ALL of the yellow fat. Be carefull as the skin is thin a will rip out if you are too aggressive.

Then you HAVE TO wash it in DAWN (and use this brand too, and COOL/LUKE WARM Water) as it will degrease the fat on the quils and the feathers. Right now the fan will look like crud! OK, but remember it will work out in the end.

Now that the tail FAN is washed, RINSE it EXtra good with COOL water WATER. ALL of the soap SCum must be removed. Then take a towl, spread it out on a table, and just damp dry the feathers. then Spread the tail fan out, and start to BLOW DRY the feathers. USE a HAIR dryer that has a cool and a HOT setting. ALternate the heat and the cool, as you don't want the feathers to get too hot, also BLOW only in the direction of the feathers. This will take 15 to 20 min. But you will eventually see the feathers start to regain their shape. Also the heat will help repair some of the feathers that have turned out a little ragged.

Now that the tail feathers are dry and purdy again, take the the lid to a bondo (2in hight plastic lid, not the metal lid) can and put in a place where you can rest the base of the tail fan and then spread the feathers out like you want. The reason you want to raise the the quil area is that this will create a natural curve to the tail fan.

Now here is were the fun comes in, you have to work fast, and you cannot be sloppy. You position the tail exactly like you want it. Then pit it down or sure it lightly with some masking tape. Take the tape and press it against your shirt or pants a little so it is not so sticky that it can come off the tail fan without pulling the feathers appart. Then place the tape onf the fan to secure it. Now get a 12 ga wire, and form it in a small "U" and put the top of the U undenether the quills. Then mix the bondo, and place it on the quills. HERE IS AM MUST, you have to work the bondo BETWEEN THE quills or i will not HOLD. Just be careful not to bump the feathers out of position. The bond will set in a few minutes and you are done.

Now you should be able to take the wire ben it in a L and stick it through two holes on the mounting stand.

AS for the feet, this takes extra care, you actually should order some stuff to preserve them if you want the whole leg. If you don't they will just scrivel up and look bad. But you can go to VAN DYKES or Mckenzie, and order some stuff called MASTERs BLEND, this is an injectiable two part epoxie that you would need to take and inject into the toes, and the leg.
Order a couple of syringes and small needle 16 ga. This sets up in minutes, and you have to work very fast. But it will keep the leg looking normal. get it out ot the needle too, as you may go through 2 or three as it will setup inside and will become un-usable.

I hope this helps, if you need anything, send me a note. I will try to help you out.

Rob

Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:11 am
King of Spring

That's the first I've heard of using bondo.

Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:28 pm
Post fan and wing feathers
as for the fan a very easy and effective way to do that is simply find you 2 pieces of plywood that will cover the tail fan when it is spread and use (C ) clamps to clamp it between the 2 pieces of plywood while it is spread and either before you clamp it really pour the salt on the meaty part and let it set for about 2 weeks! now for the wing feathers you can E_mail me and i will tell you a way to make some neat ink pens with a retro look

Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:43 am
Post by the way
my E_MAIL addy is tazmaniac_37752@yahoo.com

Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:45 am
King of Spring

Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:29 pm
Longbeard

Post If you don't wire wheel and get he meat out, bugs mice,
If you don't wire wheel and get he meat and fat out, bugs mice, etc will cause it to go by-by some day. This is a plus positive.

the alternative method will work, as the meat dries it will become hard. I wouldn't do this way at all. Also its hard to sell to actually bring it into the home and put it on the wall. Is not that much extra work either.

Rob

Last edited by Coach on Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:36 am
King of Spring

Spoken like a thoroughly married man, Coach! Yeah, the "it-goes-IN-the-house" sell is crucial. Gotta have that!!

I put the fan in the freezer for now, just because I think I'd rather be in the woods as much as humanly possible for the next couple of weeks . . . That won't harm it, right? Seems I read somewhere that it was ok to freeze it until you've got the time to give it.

Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:35 pm
Longbeard

Post yes it will keep for a long while in the freezer
Yes, it will keep for a long while in the freezer. Just watch how you rought it up. Some bends can be worked throught and will straighten out, and some will not.

Good luck.
Coach

Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:45 pm