View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 7:13 pm

slow start! 
Longbeard

Post slow start!
Well fellas! its been a slow but exciting start to my season!... Saturday morning was an incredible blessing to me to get out and enjoy the woods.. I was out and setup by 5:25 a.m. sat morning... and then all of a sudden.. it poured.. and poured and poured rain! solid for about 30-45 min!... just as i thought.. well crap!! lol.. it stopped!! the birds starting chirping alllll around me and daylight was starting to show itself... a few soft yelps from "the FREAK" and that was all it took!... GOBBLE>> GOBBLE>> GOBBLE!!!! allll over the property.. There were probably about 4 different birds.. just in a gobbling frenzy!.. i just sat there and smiled! =) still have that smile to! lol =) anyways.. to make a long story short.. the after atleast 200 gobbles (not kidding) the woods went silent!! i got up from my set up and moved ever so slightly around this hill facing a big thicket.. full of pines.. where a couple birds were going crazy!.. i figured they'd be in there due to the rain!.. anyways.. i was right.. and ended up working a bird!. he gobbled a couple more times.. then i look up and see the land owner driving through the fields in his big ole john deer! needless to say.. that hunt was over!!... The land owner saw me heading to my truck and stopped me to say.. hey bud!.. did ya see those THREE big ole toms in the field, by that ole pine thicket!.. i just smiled and said. nope not today! =) nothin much you can do ya know!...

anyways!!.. this morning i headed back to the same place... however it was a little more quiet today!.. i dont know if it was the cold or what!.. but i heard one gobbler this morning.. gobbling for about 15-20 min... on his tree.. and once he hit the ground.. that was it!!.. needless to say.. i'm back home and the turkeys won again! =) ohh well.. better luck on thursday! =)

congrats to all those who have scored.. or atleast even played the game!.. and major props to all of those.. that went out saturday morning in the fun pouring rain!.. good times right fellas!

Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:25 am
Profile YIM
2 Year Old

I am not a mouth call fan so I usually abhor the rain. I used a popup blind with success last year, but I pray for sunny days in turkey season.

Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:49 am