View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 3:52 am

Should I buy a new turkey gun? 
Longbeard

Post Should I buy a new turkey gun?
Well.....I shoot a Remington 870 supermag.....mossy oak camo.......very sweet shooting gun......I killed my first turkey and all the others with the gun.....My dilemma is that.....ive killed all my turkeys with it......My dad always says Never sell a gun that your happy with to get another...youll eventually regret it....Now that said....I have a Benneli M1 that i bought 3 years ago.....It is my dove, duck, goose gun......the more i shoot it the more i want another one......I want to buy that new Benelli Super Black Eagle 2.....This gun like my 870 will only be used for turkey hunting.......now i could always just buy it and leave the 870 in the safe but id feel worse doing that than ifn i sold it......Im lost.......i love my 870 but i Love them benelli's.....somebody talk me out of this please.... :D

Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:26 am
King of Spring

Some simple and very honest advice.... A person can NEVER have to many guns......And you WILL regret the sell of ANY gun you have at some ponit in your life... My motto.. Keep Em All.. Never sell!!........ the only way I would ever sell one of mine is if it meant feeding my family. my 2 cents!

Max

Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:05 am
Profile WWW
Boss Gobbler

Max is correct. DONT SELL IT. YOu have too many memories with it. My dad always told me to Never Sell a gun. Only gun I ever sold was a .308 that I won and that was to my brother in law so I could buy my .338 which is what I wanted.

Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:50 am
2 Year Old

Well, I have the original SBE with a 24" barrel and a Leupold red dot scope (discontinued) on it and a Kicks tube. It is my turkey killing machine. It is a light weight semi-auto, but the scope makes it a bit awkward to carry.. They are really nice guns. My advice: buy the SBE if you want it, but hold off selling the 870 for a while.

Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:42 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

HInt: true story...I have shot an 870 for , well , practically forvere...at least 40 years....somebody GAVE me a gift of a super black eagle a couple of years ago. I Have prior to that watched folks fight with the safties on the Benelli's in duck blind s and turkey huntign for a few years...seen some mighty fine turkeys walk off without a shot being fired becasuethe safteies were so diffeent for h shooter , plus the duck ones appeared to jam becasue the main spring on them gums up with dirt apparently...I really wanted no part of that benelli gun...so I passed it on permananet loan to my son...shoot the 870 forver...if you want to sell the 870 email me...I have my first 870 plus I bought Nother one in case that one busted, but it NEVER has....do not stop using your 870...2 cts.

Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:32 am
Longbeard

I agree -- you'll be glad that you kept the 870. It is worth keeping if for nothing more than the sentimental value.

Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:40 am
2 Year Old

Benneli Super Black eagle jam????? :roll:
I would have to witness that to believe it. The whole premise is not to have a gas operated bolt b/c of reliability. The only way that bad boy will not go off is if the bolt was not closed properly. NOT an issue other than operator error.

Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:57 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

okay sako luver,assume I have stock in Remington and that I made it all up...now, though, the question is why Benelli offers a souped up replacement piston spring mechaism as an after market item for the problem ...? (p/s..Iam not crazy enough to give away $1200 guns if I had confidence in it..and you 'll have to trust me on that , and you do not have to see that to believe it...) :>) You are absolutely correct that the safety issues are operator error; two of the people who i have watched fight them though were MD's, and if it too complicated fro a rocket scientist doctor it is too complicated for this mountain boy. Apparently sometime if you hit the trigger for a shot and have not pushed all the right buttons or turned the right switches the gun will recycle and ejecta shell rather than shooting...it was funny the frist time it happened and the gobbler ran of...a couple of hours later when it happened again and gobbler ll leaves, I thought the guy was going to bend the gun around a tree....and he would have if I and not been there ...

Last edited by Gobblenow on Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:15 am
2 Year Old

These guys have great advise on more than turkey hunting. Don't sell it, you will regret it. You can not replace the memories.

Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:18 am
2 Year Old

GN, I am not doubting you saw jamming problems. I am just saying that I would have to see it for myself. They sure are pricey guns, that's for sure. They can be had for less than $1200 with just a little looking around though. It seems like other 3 1/2" autos are slowly approaching the point where a buyer just might stop and think "for a $200 more" I can have the Benelli. Or for the price of a Remchester 3 1/2" auto, I can pick up a used Benelli. Not talking about pumps here.

I don't know a thing about the replacement spring. Never even heard they offered one. It's been a non-issue with my SBE.

Heck, a single shot break-open 12 ga in 2 3/4" will do the job for turkeys. There have been times when I have been tempted to tote one. Boy, and to think what I could do with the extra $grand!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't own stock with Benneli either :)

Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:37 am
Longbeard

I've had my sbe for at least ten years(got it when htey first came out). Prior to that I used a Browning pump...never had a problem with this one either. Why'd I change, then? One gun(sbe) could shoot any length load so I could trap shoot, goose shoot and turkey hunt as well as occassionally dove and rarely quail hunt all with the same gun. You get over the problems with where the safety is and all other problems when you use your weapon over and over. The most shooting I've ever done with one weapon was in USMC and with that much training on that weapon you truely could strip it down and reassemble it blindfolded. Our problems back then (1967-1968) was that the dang things jammed frequently from any dirt to the make-up of the cartridge.
At this point I am tending to going to an over/under but 1)can't find a 243 over a 12 ga 3" and don't know if I can get the choke down enough for turkey hunting or even get screw in chokes and2) don't want to spend thousands.
Question: how many shots do you need for a Spring gobbler?

Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:44 am
Boss Gobbler

Uh-Oh... I think I see a reference to the "R" word... I'm outta here! :shock:

Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:57 am
Profile WWW
2 Year Old

UH, would that be rifle? I live and hunt in North Carolina, so thank goodness that is not an issue here. BUT, if it were legal, I would shoot a Benelli rifle because......................... :lol:

Only kidding!

Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:02 pm
Longbeard

Ok guys ive thought it out and i have decided to stick with my trusty 870.......Ifn it aint broke dont fix it i guess.....Ive put to much effort and shoulder pain in shooting that cannon to find a load it likes......winchester HV 3 1/2 inch # 4's.......sims recoil pad......185 dollars to have it camo dipped by Trebark.......10 different turkey chokes before i found one it liked.....Tru-Glo Strut Stopper........Tru-glo sights.....I decided to stick with the 870 sooooooo thanks so much for the support........HI my names reed and im a turkey hunting addict..................... :D

Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:14 pm
King of Spring

Post Shotgun
My dad bought me a 1300 for my 15th birthday.....there's no amount of money that could buy it....I, like you, was looking on the other side of the fence a couple of years ago.....after thinking about it for a while......I decided to stay with the 1300.....I killed my first spring gobbler with it....and I've never killed a turkey with anything else.....I've worked on it, and run different loads through it, choke combinations etc....and I've got something that works for me......as long as the shotgun holds up, I'll never own another(for turkey hunting).....when I'm long gone, and the shotgun is still here, I'd like for one of my daughters to pull it out of cabinet and look at all the scratches and nicks and dings, realize that it seen me at my best and worst in the woods and maybe even put it in their own vehicle on their way to the turkey woods.

Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:14 pm