View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:44 am

Opening Day Miss - Advice Needed 
Jake

Post Opening Day Miss - Advice Needed
Despite the often hard rain, I was able to call a large lonely gobbler in from about 300 yards this morning at 8:30. He broke nearly every rule. He came a long distance, he walked down a large hill into the valley, he crosed the creek (after strutting for a minute or two), then he came right up the side of the hill we were on. Well he did everything except jump in the game bag. The fella that was hunting with my son and I (the landowner) got a bit excited I guess, and missed from about 30 yards. The bird went about 15 yards and stopped to look back. I took a second shot since I had an open view but by they he was about 45-50 yards from me. I shoot 3 1/2 inch shells and have a decent pattern at 45.

Question I have is this. What are the chances of calling that bird in again this year? Should I change up calls? I was using an HS Strut Ole Raspy Hen diaphram. Is he still huntable or shoulid I give up and find another area on the property? He was the only bird I heard this morning and believe he was the one I heard gobbling from the roost. :oops:

Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:38 am
Longbeard

Sorry, but the only person that can call up that bird again is me, so just give me a call and tell me where it is and i'll try to take care of it for ya :P :twisted: no not really, give it a few days, change your setup position, and hammer him when he hits the ground, get aggressssssive

Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:53 am
King of Spring

I think he'll forget all about it in a few days. Try a different style call and keep tellin him you love him and he'll be back.

Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:36 pm
Boss Gobbler

You can just never tell about turkeys... he may be right back there in the morning gobbling his brains out!

I would definately change setup locations and calls just to be sure. If he doesn't gobble tomorrow, chances are he will gobble again before the season ends at some point.

Stay after him... he's still very killable!

Good luck!

Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:35 am
Profile WWW
Longbeard

Turkeys have short memories, sorta like mine!
I've heard of gobblers being called back in thirty minute after they were shot at. Keep after him!
GS...

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:22 pm
Longbeard

Keep after him, he probably won't break many rules the next time. He's a bit smarter now, but can be taken.
Keep em Gobblin!
Struttinbird

Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:57 pm
King of Spring

Is he still huntable or shoulid I give up and find another area on the property?

There's only one way to find out :lol:
Good Luck

Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:19 pm
Jake

Thanks to everyone who replied. I am going out tomorrow to see if I can get a second chance. I got some new calls that sound a bit different. Let you all know.

MIKE

:lol:

Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:41 pm
Longbeard

I missed one at 16 yards a couple years ago. He came back the next day. I agree that he will be smarter and I would try a different call the next time though.

Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:25 am