View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 3:22 am

It aint over till its over!! 
2 Year Old

Post It aint over till its over!!
Got a nice gobbler on his way back to the swamp last night to roost! My partner had sent me a message that it was about time to go, at 7:45pm I had taken down my blind, packed my vest, and stood up and actually took a step towards my decoy set when I saw birds coming across the big field. I dropped back down and watched them all the way across the field toward me on their way to the swamp. If it were not for the hen/jake setup I had in our clover strip he would have passed by out of range! The big Tom saw the jake about to take "the position" and could not stand it! He strutted right up to him and when he got no response got confused and started to follow the others to roost. That is when the big ten boomed and he was feet up in the clover! Awesome hunt after 4 long hours posted in my nest.

20 lbs 4 ozs, 10.5" beard, 1" spurs

Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:24 pm
King of Spring

Congrats man! :D

Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:31 pm
King of Spring

Persistence...usually yields smiles...of all kinds.
Way to go guys.
Glad you got him.

DO you think this is the gobbler we previously saw on video?

"A man who insists on adherence to the facts when it comes to his hunting exploits, size of fish...abilities of his bird dog...is an untrustworthy fellow. A fine sporting liar is a gentleman & someone whose acquaintance should be cherished" R. Ruark.

Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:05 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:02 pm
Boss Gobbler

Sweet... thanks for exacting revenge on that sucker for us! :D

Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:26 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:35 am
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Good Job! That's a great bird. Worth the wait I am sure!

"Turkey hunting, when you knock all the feathers off it, is a game of infinite variables, played on a field of unlimited dimension, against an opponent who doesn't know the rules and wouldn't play by them if he did." ...Jim Spencer

Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:56 am
King of Spring

Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:44 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:03 pm

I went back to that very spot on Thursday afternoon with my friends 11 year old. Since he was shooting a 20g we set up a little bit closer to the field edge with the decoys at 20 yards. We had turkeys around all afternoon, 5 gobblers came up at 75 yards but turned and headed towards my friend and his 7 year old out for his first turkey. As they got close the 7 year old had the gun up and waiting when all of a sudden a big limb fell out of a pine tree and scared the birds off!! What are the chances of that?

Meanwhile back at our blind we had hens in the field for about 45 mins and then a Jake came out and chased all but one away. She fed back and forth in a newly plowed field and then at 6:15pm a big ole gobbler came out! With every call he would break into a strut but never would come closer than 125 yards! I think this was a bird Freddy and Jeff had wised up on their last trip! :wink: He went to bed at 6:45pm leaving the 11 year old and myself rather disappointed! By 7:35pm with the light fading fast a couple more Jakes popped out and were heading for the swamp, the good thing was they had to come past us! The 11 yr old braced on a little folding kids seat as the Jake came right for the hen and jake decoy. Right as I was telling him to shoot when ready he fell off the chair into the bottom of the blind!!! Luckily I had one hand on the gun to help him support the weight. I told him to jump up and shoot fast as the Jake was getting a goofy look. He did just that! The little 20g Beretta with 3" #6 Hevi-shot ran over him like a train! This was my young friends second turkey on his 3rd hunt! Yes he is a little jaded and thinks Turkey hunting is pretty predictable. :? Unfortunately, I think he will find out otherwise if he sticks to this game!

Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:59 pm
2 Year Old

the above is my post, SCbigten. I was so tired from hunting I forgot to log in! :)

Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:21 am