View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 7:22 am

SC Youth Day - more surprises... 
King of Spring

Post SC Youth Day - more surprises...
I am posting this for my son. He wrote this story by himself. Enjoy...

TITLE: The Unforgettable Hunt
DATE: 3-26-06
BY: Hunter D. aka rocket boy

When we left home we heard barred owls calling in the distant creek bottom behind our house. The moon was huge, but really only a sliver was lit. A big bright star was East of the moon. The sun rose so fast that morning we almost had to run across the field. The sunrise was really nice; there were some amazing colors in the sky as the sun poked over the eastern horizon.

When we got in the blind we had to rest a little. Right when we put the things down I fell asleep and slept for a while. I’m not used to getting up at 4:30am. Dad heard some turkeys gobbling and hens calling but they wouldn’t come in. He said the hen met up with the gobbler and took him away. The sun was still coming up, now it was way over the treetops. We still haven’t seen any turkeys around. Around 9:00 we got tired of waiting for a turkey so we decided to practice going through the process of shooting if my dad called in a gobbler for me. About thirty seconds went by and two gobblers came up. I got the ready to shoot, but I didn’t want too. Dad kept telling me to shoot, but I didn’t want to. He kept saying, “SHOOT, SHOOT, SHOOT!
I kept telling dad, “I didn’t want to shoot.â€

"A man who insists on adherence to the facts when it comes to his hunting exploits, size of fish...abilities of his bird dog...is an untrustworthy fellow. A fine sporting liar is a gentleman & someone whose acquaintance should be cherished" R. Ruark.

Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:52 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Hunter that is one fine story of one fine day. You and your Dad had about the best day I could hope for in the woods. Each sharing a day with a pretty special guy(you for your dad, and him for you). Eating good snacks, takeing a nap and seeing turkeys up close. How can it get any better than that? They do walk funny; sort of look prehistoric I think. Good luck for the rest of the season. Hope you have more days like that.

Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:09 pm
2 Year Old

That is why turkey hunting is special :wink: :wink: :wink:

Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:58 pm
King of Spring

That's the most honest description of a morning in the spring woods that I have ever seen on this board. I commend you for your decision to not shoot, most would not have even given it a second thought. I do not know you personally, but I can assure you from reading your dads' posts that I know you are one fine young man and one heck of a hunter... hunter! :D

Congratulations to both of you on your wonderful hunt! Diablo, your signature at the end of your post says it all! Thanks so much for sharing and helping put into perspective what this hunting stuff is all about! :D

Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:52 am
Boss Gobbler

Great Story Hunter. Congrats on a good hunt. Sounds like you had a good time hanging out with dad.

Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:38 am
Longbeard

Hunter it takes a true sportsman to do something like that. I am sure that all of us here commend you and that. That will be a day that you and you Dad will never forget. Good luck the rest of the season.

Tom

Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:55 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

What a man! Hunter, we are all proud of you for the fact that you realize that a turkey is a respected treasure and that hunts are measured in terms other than birds killed. You are wise and rich beyond you age! I'm sure your season will be great. Good luck on your future hunts.

Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:39 am
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Awesome day for you and dad! I am glad you had the time together. The memories will last as long as you live! Congratulations!

"Turkey hunting, when you knock all the feathers off it, is a game of infinite variables, played on a field of unlimited dimension, against an opponent who doesn't know the rules and wouldn't play by them if he did." ...Jim Spencer

Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:06 pm
King of Spring

Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:38 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Post SC youth day - more surprises
Hunter, your hunt just goes to prove that a successful hunt does not always have to end with the tagging of a bird or whatever game you're after.

You have a fine young man there Diablo, congrats.

barry

Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:17 pm
Thanks for all the comments guys. hunter and I just got a chance to read them together. lots of smiles on this end for sure.
Thanks for the board Freddy!
:)

Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:21 pm