View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 2:29 pm

Jefferson National Forest 
Longbeard

Post Jefferson National Forest
Has anyone been hunting in the Jefferson National Forest around Montgomery and Craig counties? Looking for some advice for spring gobbler season... Go to VT means having to hunt up here so I'm gonna do my best!

GO HOKIES!!

Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:14 pm
King of Spring

I'm a student at VT, too and I'll be hunting the Jefferson National Forrest. I'm not gonna say where lol, but there's a good number of birds out there.

Ryan

Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:30 pm
Boss Gobbler

I live in Christiansburg and hunt the National Forest in those areas. There are a good many birds if you are willing to look for them and work for them. Dale and I both killed gobblers in that area last year.

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:55 pm
Profile WWW
Longbeard

Post where do the bird like to go to strut?
I've found most places to be 99% hardwoods. I've heard some gobbles in the evenings. But I haven't really been seeing the signs.

Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:03 am
Longbeard

I've hunted around the forest in Bland/Wythe Co and there are lots of birds but you had better get as many days in right at the beginning of season after the first week they are usually scared to death and go the other way when you call to them.

Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:41 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Longbeard

Post More scouting?
Did a little more scouting the other day and saw 10 birds total with atleast 2 gobblers. Looking better and better all the time!!

Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:42 pm
Poult

My sister owns some land in Wythe and has been seeing birds there. Also hearing them gobble. She said they are still flocked up. It's beautiful country down there. I plan on getting there there during the first couple of weeks.

Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:55 am

Some of my most memorable hunts have been on National Forest lands. I've actually had more success in the spring there than I have had on private lands! I'm sorry I can't tell you where though.

Like you have noted, most of the National Forest land I hunt consists of relatively mature timber interspersed with laurel thickets and a few cutovers.

Here are a few National Forest hunting tips for you (IMHO - don't take this as the be all guide, but it is what I've noted and experienced over the years)

If you can find a new cutover (before it grows back up) or recent burn area - Make sure you check it out!! You will likely find a lot of sign there this time of year. The gobblers like to go to these open areas to show there stuff. Look for gobbler tracks, droppings, dusting areas and wing tip drag marks in the bare dirt. Also the hens will nest nearby in the thick new vegetation around the cutover transition areas. The gobblers will likely roost on the uphill side of the cutovers in the nearest mature timber to this area. They will typically pitch down onto the hill side above the cutover and work there way down or sometimes will pitch out of their roost right into the opening.

I typically hit these open areas at fly down and eventually move back into the timber as the day warms up. Seems like the turkeys like to hit the shade too once the sun starts to bare down on them.

When in the mature timber areas look for old logging roads or trails. If you can get on one of these that follow a constant contour, you can quickly (and comfortably) cover ALOT of ground listening for a gobbling bird. You can walk a few miles in some of the areas I hunt. While the population density may not be as high in some of these public areas, you can make up for this slight defeciency by the amount of area you can cover.

If you get lucky and strike a bird, setup to shoot towards the old logging road or trail. They love hit the road and approach your setup by using it. I guess the road opening provides a relatively open area in woods for them to strut in?? 3/4's of the birds I've killed in the NF have been shot while they stood in these old road beds.

Hope this is helpful.

Good Luck,

ODT

Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:55 pm
Longbeard

Post Thanks ODT
I really appreciate your help and advice. The more, the merrier! I will take that into consideration next week. I'm gonna try to work a couple of birds that I know of and then try your tips. Thanks again for everyone's advice!!

Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:06 pm