View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 4:17 pm

VA Youth Day 
King of Spring

Post VA Youth Day
I hope each of us has found a deserving young man or lady to take or assist tomorrow while they pursue our greatest passion. Most of you here know me and have heard this many times but remember to take the time (not just on youth day) to take our kids afield. I have been blessed to be with some fine young folk as they took their first deer or turkey. It is an experience that will always rank very high in my fondest memories. To watch the transition from child to young adult happen before your eyes is a true gift from God. The respect, morals and character we can instill to our youth thru hunting are amazing. If you don’t think a few days each spring or fall cant change the direction of an easily influenced young life you need look no further than me cause I am living proof.

If you are taking a young person tomorrow please watch out for the other guy and be safe. Good Luck and “Hit Em Hardâ€

Max

Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:59 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Good post Max. I just wish they would up the age on this youth day. Not because Shane is 17 but the age 16-18 is when alot of youth go astray. I think if a kid is in high school he or she could participate in the youth day. I know you need to set an age but to me Shane is still a kid. Just my opinion!!

Doug

Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:54 pm
King of Spring

Post va youth day
Good point Stranger. There are a lot of our youth past the age of 16 that are still "kids".
16-18 is probably the most influential time in the lives of todays youth. Let's find a way to get'em outdoors.

barry

Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:47 pm
King of Spring

Max, Zach and myself will be pulling out in the morning @400 :( . We just got home from the Tidewater Chapter NWTF banquet. H e is going to be draggin in the morn. Luck be with yall .Be safe!!
Tim

Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:31 pm
Jake

Post Va youth day
All right guys! I'ts after 12:00. How did the kids do? Tell me Tell me Tell me!! Believe it or not I didn't find a youngster this year. Can't wait to hear about it.

Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:51 pm
King of Spring

My nephew killed his first longbeard this morning. The bird was roosted on the edge of a field they had set up on and came right in at first light. He actually missed the first shot and the gobbler flew straight up in the air about ten feet and he killed him when he hit the ground with his second shot. Stats: 21 lbs. 10 in. beard and 3/4 in. spurs. He's officially hooked!!!

Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:02 pm
Poult

Took my 8 year old called in a hen. She was mad as could be that we were in "her" area. He wanted so bad to kill a turkey it was all I could do to keep him calm. Very fun day. He said it was the best day ever, even with out a kill. Just another lesson in it's not about the kill!!! good luck to all

Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:19 pm
King of Spring

Went w/ a friend and his son ,and his brother. 5 were talking at daylight w/ bunches of hens as well . Got 2 of the closest to detour our way but wouldn.t commit and hens took them down to a field. no place to really set up there so covered country till about nine, only hearing the occasional courtesy gobble from first birds. They changed fields so tried them again and got a longbeard headed our way, then another showed up and they fought a little then the newcomer chased no.1 straight to and then away from our decoy without giving the boy enough time to line 1 up. His uncle did get it on video and he was thrilled to hear and see so many, a pretty good first hunt for him any way. Also called up a bearded hen which they passed on.

Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:35 pm
King of Spring

Congrads to all of you who took birds on youth day. Glad you all could get out and have good time.

Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:29 am
Poult

Didn't see a bird until we had quit for the day and stopped by my trailer to check it. Got out of the truck and it ran across my path and we could hear it disappearing into the dry, dry ,dry leaves. Go figure. But my 13 year old had a great time.

Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:00 am