View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 12:40 pm

MOST IMPORTANT POST OF THE YEAR... 
Boss Gobbler

Post MOST IMPORTANT POST OF THE YEAR...
With the turkey season knocking on our doors and the youth day this Saturday I thought it was a good time to post this...

Suprisingly, national studies show that most turkey season shooting incidents on persons involve experienced hunters who accidentally fire on their own hunting partners. The studies also show most turkey hunting shooting accidents occur on private land.

Most shooting accidents take place at 11-50 yards when the shooter failed to properly identify the target.
About two-thirds of all incidents occurred on private land.
Shooters involved in these incidents were, on average, 45 years old with 30 years of hunting experience and 16 years of turkey hunting experience.
Victims, on average, were 43 years old with 13 years of turkey hunting experience.

Review and follow the Turkey Hunting Safety Rules as part of your annual spring turkey preparation. Make a copy for your camp or hunting vehicle. Review them frequently before and during the season.

It is the responsibility of each hunter to help make our state and other states one of the safer places to hunt wild turkeys in the spring.

Here is the list...

Select a calling position where you can see for at least 50 yards in all directions and where you are protected from the backside.
Whistle or shout to alert approaching hunters of your position. Never wave or stand up.
Never sneak in on a turkey or use a gobbler call near other hunters. Never crowd another hunter working a bird.
Never shoot at sound or movement.
Use a flashlight when walking in the dark.
Be aware of turkey "fever" and its prevention. Disregard peer pressure to bag a bird.
Be extremely careful using turkey decoys.
Do not wear red, white, or blue outer wear or exposed inner clothing.
Make sure your headnet doesn't obscure your vision.
Don't assume you are the only hunter in the area. Be certain of a companion's location.
Know and identify your target and what is beyond.
Discuss safety techniques with companions.
Never assume that other hunters are responsible.
Always keep your gun pointed in a safe direction.
Always keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
Always keep your gun unloaded until ready to use.
Never use alcohol or drugs before or while hunting.
Respect property rights and secure permission before hunting.
Hunters should unload their guns when crossing fences, climbing into stands, jumping ditches or traversing steep ravines.

Guys.... I hope each of you have a successful season but I hope even more that we all have a SAFE season!

Last edited by Freddy on Mon May 15, 2006 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:38 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Great post Freddy. Thanks for the reminder.

Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:53 am
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Post most important post of the year
Thanks Freddy.

This is a good read for both the young hunters and us older ones.

barry

Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:09 pm
King of Spring

Safety in the woods is not an option, it is a do or die! Thanks for the reminder Freddy!

"Turkey hunting, when you knock all the feathers off it, is a game of infinite variables, played on a field of unlimited dimension, against an opponent who doesn't know the rules and wouldn't play by them if he did." ...Jim Spencer

Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:47 pm
King of Spring

Great Post Freddy :!:

Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:09 pm
2 Year Old

Great Post! Thank you for the reminder...

Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:23 pm
It's really hard to imagine ever trying live with myself if I was to shoot anyone much less a close friend or relative.It made me think of going out Sat.morning with my grandson and something were to go wrong!!!! THANKS Freddy maybe it will make up all think .

Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:05 pm
Longbeard

Once the trigger is pulled, the shot can't be taken back.
Keep em Gobblin!
Struttinbird

Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:17 pm
King of Spring

The age/experience stats there are sobering to say the least. When we start to think we've got enough experience, that we know how to be safe, apparently that's when the unthinkable happens. We've got to stay sharp!

I read in an article that the state of Missouri, I believe, passed a law requiring all licensed hunters to place a small sticker on the receiver of their hunting guns stating simply "Safety First". That little reminder coupled with purposeful safety education drastically improved that state's hunter safety record, according to the article. I work at a sign company and have the capability to easily produce stickers like this and would be happy to donate them to the site. The only question would be how to distribute them. Just a thought. I'll be making a few this week for myself and friends after reading this post.

Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:17 pm
Post Safety ...
I like this forum,I think that little orange flag in the back of my turkey vest will be seen sat. morning. Hopefully by the luckey bird that gets to watch me walk over and pick BigTom up off the ground. :lol:

Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:05 pm