View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 4:19 pm

What to coat a gun with? 
Longbeard

Post What to coat a gun with?
I am bringing an old rusted 870 back from the dead. I am having to strip the receiver and barrel down to bare metal. Should I just reblue the gun or is there something I can spray on the gun? This does not need to be a showpiece. I didn't think spray paint would let oil get to the metal.

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:00 pm
King of Spring

I'd say take it to a gunsmith and get it parkerized or camo dipped,probably both of these might be to expensive for an old gun. Or, why not spray paint it. If it's a good paint job why does oil need to get to the metal? The paint will keep it protected from rust, you only have to oil bare metal.

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:27 pm
Boss Gobbler

Have heard of people using Gun-Kote and having really good luck with it.....

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ ... N%20FINISH

Lauer also makes a finish in quite a few colors but it is more expensive. The gun-kote you can harden in your oven.

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:59 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

GET IT DIPPED IF YOU ARE GOING TO HUNT WITH IT.

Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:27 am
Longbeard

Have a good friend who hunts with a spray-painted shotgun that he camo'd himself...it's been that way for years and he's killed a bunch of turkeys with it.
I hunt with a gun that Freddy got dipped in camo for my birthday and I love it; before, it had a parkerized finish and I killed turkeys with it then too.
Just depends on personal preference and what kind of money you want to spend. Good Luck this spring.

Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:21 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

I also have a bubby who painted a camo patern on his shotgun. it also has been that way for years. He just touches it up every couple of years.

Use a good epoxy primer then pait as desired. The epoxy will seal the metal.

"Turkey hunting, when you knock all the feathers off it, is a game of infinite variables, played on a field of unlimited dimension, against an opponent who doesn't know the rules and wouldn't play by them if he did." ...Jim Spencer

Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:05 pm
Longbeard

I have an older Marlin 22 bolt action rifle that i picked up for next to nothing. To pass the time between deer season and turkey season, i stripped the stock and refinished it. I stripped the barrel and all metal parts and reblued. I also ordered some replacement parts. It turned out good. Not professional but i am pleased. The BIrchwood Casey products worked just fine. Just an opinion.

ron

Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:22 pm
Longbeard

Thanks for all the help thus far! I really am leaning towards the spray paint method

Flatland-what is a good exopy paint to use? will it have to be brushed on or do they have it in a spray?

Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:33 pm