View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 7:27 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 2006 Spring Scouting Thread... 
Boss Gobbler

HAve heard a few birds so far, and this am heard 2 way off. IT was cold. This week it will warm up and I expect to hit the listening post hard this week.

Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:27 pm
Jake

Went out Sunday morning in Goochland Co. No gobbles. Was hoping it was the cold weather, but sounds like others heard some gobbling. Hopefully it will pick up in this area.

Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:27 am
Longbeard

been watching four longbeards every morning for the last week. they will gobble morning a couple times on the roost, fly down and then shut up. then they head straight for the silage that a farmer is feeding, me and my 7 year old hopes the very same thing happens sat morning :lol:

Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:53 pm
2 Year Old

My brother was at our cabin in South Central PA. They were gobbling on Sunday morning. In fact, one was only 100 yards away from the front door...

Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:26 pm
King of Spring

Saturday am, a friend and I went to an undisclosed location :wink:. Driving through the snow on the way to a scouting session didn't seem promising for gobbling. We pulled up, the truck door quietly opened--GAaaaaaaooooooobbbbblllee!! And then another, far off to the east. We quietly pulled on our jackets and crept closer. He gobbled again and again . . . He gobbled on his own, he gobbled at the crows, he gobbled at the woodpeckers. Then a gobble had another intense attack, a fraction of a second after it started. We listened carefully . . . again, the gobble hit-hit on itself. There were two loudmouths trying to out-yell each other at every gobble!! And all the while, at least two others far to the east continued their own songs. The two closest began moving away and we followed, trying to keep a good buffer between us and them, but wanting to gain as much intel as possible. Eventually, we cut a pair of fresh, long-toed tracks in the snow wandering through a creek bottom. As we crept toward the next ridge, the pair attacked the air with piercing, intense gobbles at the sound of our footsteps. I looked at my friend and whispered "HIDE!! NOW!!" We dove behind a low fir and hoped we wouldn't be seen . . . I know where I want to be come April!!

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:38 pm
Longbeard

just got in from another little trip to the woods. the turkeys were hammering this morning. i made the trip up to the crawfish valley in wythe county. this is all national forest land and offers some great turkey hunting. i arrived at 5am, grabed my mt dew, adn sat back and waited. it was 5:48 when i heard the first bird sound off some 300 yards off. it did'nt take long for two more birds to join in. music to my ears :) i then saddled up and headed up the road and stopped and listened at several places. i took the left fork and went all the way to the hickory tree. in total i heard 11 different gobblers and seen two others along the road. on the way out i stopped at the first location and gave a few yelps to test the water and they went crazy. double and triple gooooobling. this was at 7.50 . man i cant wait. will head to a different location in the morning, will keep yall posted

Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:36 am
King of Spring

I finally heard my first gobble of the Spring this morning.. music to my ears.. I stepped out of the truck this Morning at 5:25 AM and he was already hammering away.. gobbled hard for 20 minutes until 5:45 and then not another peep.. Lord knows what time he started this morning.

Take me Home Country Roads.

Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:57 am
Boss Gobbler

I heard 4 or 5 this AM. Most was sporadic roost gobbling but one or two boys (I never could determine if it was two gobblers or one that was moving around a lot and throwing his voice! :lol:) were cranking for a while when they hit the ground. Saw a strutter not far away that I couldn't hear gobbling at daylight.

Saw 7 longbeards strutting for about 15 hens yesterday evening. :D :D

Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:28 am
Profile WWW
Poult

Any body know what the birds in saluda are doing :?:

Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:20 pm
King of Spring

I heard the best gobbling of the year thus far this morning. Went to a brand new spot that I've never been to before. One cut loose 100 yards away and the hens and another gobbler were right below me. I backed out and went around them and above them. Heard two more on the other side of the ridge and 1 or possibly 2 more across the river from me. They all gobbled pretty good on the roost and all but 2 shut up once on the ground, but they were all really close to some loudmouth hens. Was a beautiful morning.
Browtine

Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:49 am
Boss Gobbler

Heard 5 this AM... a group of 3 birds and then 2 singles. They didn't gobble very well though. The woods were still dripping wet at daylight. Saw a couple other turkeys driving to work.

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 am
Profile WWW
Longbeard

heard two birds this morning on a local farm. they goobled good on the limb. one had five hens with him the other had seven. they were still goobling at my crow call when i left. off to another location for some midmorning locating :lol:

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:19 pm
Heard 5 different birds trhis morning. They started up around 5:45 and gobbled good i just couldn't stay there to see if they gobbled when they hit the ground had to be at work at 6:00.

Doug

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:33 pm
Boss Gobbler

Heard a few this AM in Bedford Co... more than 5 and less than 10! :lol: :shock:

Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:09 am
Profile WWW
2 Year Old

Heard 6 this a.m. in West Virginia. Gobbled very very good on the limb but only a couple times on the ground. Seen one longbeard after he flew down and went straight into strut and made his way to the other birds and hens I heard....Great mornng to be in the woods.. :D :D :D

Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:53 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next