View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 10:31 pm

Grandson's First Turkey Hunt. 
Longbeard

Post Grandson's First Turkey Hunt.
Alex (my Grandson) and I got up at 4:30am this morning for first day of the two day juvenile turkey hunt. I was suprised that I didn't have any problems getting him up. We got dressed and loaded everything up and headed down to my favorite spot "The Old Oak Tree".
We took our time climbing the steep hill that leads to the strip of woods bordering a big hay field. It was still dark when I put out one hen decoy and we both sit down at the oak tree. As it started to break day it got a little windy and started to snow, wasn't the best day I wanted to take him on his first turkey hunt.
We sat there till 6:00am and nothing gobbled. Then 6:15 still nothing and we were getting pretty damp from the snow. Then Gobble, Gobble just across the hollow about 100yds. We sit tight, heard him fly down, I called once and told Alex to get his gun up. I couldn't see all the way down to the bottom of the deep hollow but most the time they would come up to the saddle straight in front then up the hill. Alex was sitting against my right shoulder. Thats were I've sit and kill a many uh gobblers over the years.
We didn't move nothing but our eyeballs. After a while I was having my doubts when I just happened to hear something to my left and "crap," there he stood at full strut not 15yds away. He had came on up to our left and popped up right in our faces! What a beauty, looked as big as a 55gal drum. Where he was standing there was no big trees for him to walk behind so we could reposition. He did strut back down a little to our right but was still very close. I noticed Alex had his gun pointing pretty much towards the gobbler which was starting to get a little nervous. I whispered to Alex to get on him and shoot. Alex adjusted ever so slightly and the tom slicked down and started to clucked , bout that time the little 20ga roared. I expected to see the gobbler collapse. But instead he clucked and took off running. I called again and he stopped, then started to circle around us. I thought we were going to get another chance but it wasn't to be on this day.
Alex was really disapointed and sad. He just couldn't believe he missed that gobbler that was so close (I stepped it at 13yds). I explained that it wasn't a big deal to miss. Everyone that turkey hunts sooner or later misses and that I've had my share of misses also. We stayed there for another hour or so then headed home. On the way home Alex asked.. grandaddy where we huntin at in the morning?
GS...

Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:52 am
Longbeard

Kenny, I thought about you and your grandson this morning. I was taking my son to work at 5:45 and it was spitting snow here. Stay on em
Tomorrow looks better. Next weekend is another story. RAIN RAIN RAIN!

Ron

Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:04 am
King of Spring

Great recap Kenny... I really hate he didn't get him. Makes me think back on my first opportunity at a gobbler... also a miss. I hope he keeps that head up and gets one before long!

Thanks for sharing!

Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:34 pm
King of Spring

Post grandsons first turkey hunt
Great story, just sorry it didn't end with a tag on the bird.
Good luck tomorrow.

barry

Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:05 pm
Boss Gobbler

Kenny you and that Oak Tree need to write a book. Congrats on a good hunt, sorry it did not end with a bird taking a ride, but still a great day.
Good luck this weekend in you opener. Tell Travis Good Luck too.

Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:26 pm
King of Spring

Good story, hopefully yall will be missing and Killing turkeys together for a long time.

Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:34 pm
Boss Gobbler

Great story... even though he didn't kill the bird... he's hooked! Great job both of you!

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:07 am
Profile WWW
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

I will bet whatever anybody wants to put up that Alex gets a bird this year..assuming he goes back with his granddad. Turkeys in a snowstorm. Back when Tenn used to open the regualr season on this weekend, it was snowing many of the opening mornings. I think thei important thing is that Alex wants to go back....

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:09 am
King of Spring

The first close encounter with a gobbler in full strut will keep that young man occupied for many a year to come. Congrats on a successful introduction of a youngster to our sport. Thanks for sharing the story.

Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:49 am
Profile YIM