View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 10:21 pm

Boots 
Longbeard

Post Boots
I'm interested in getting a pair of Lacrosse rubber boots, about 18" tall and was wondering which of the following you all would recommend. I plan on using these for deer hunting, rabbit hunting, and maybe turkey hunting. They're pretty much the same thing, but diff. grams of insulation.

http://www.lacrossefootwear.com/product ... rodid=2707

http://www.lacrossefootwear.com/product ... rodid=2705

Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:26 am
Boss Gobbler

My personal opinion is that 1200 grams of insulation is too much... especially for turkey hunting. If you are sitting on a deer stand in 20 degree weather they would probably be fine. The trouble with rubber boots is my feet sweat so bad in them. I would be inclined to find a pair with 200-400 grams of thinsulate and then get the right socks. Socks are the key... right GN? :wink:

Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:30 am
Profile WWW
Longbeard

A wise man once told me these few rules to live by when buying hunting items:

Cotton vs. Synthetic Winner is Synthetic

Gortex vs No Gortex Winner Gortex

Leather over Rubber (Scent Purposes) Winner Rubber

I agree with Freddy the sock is the key.. You need to wick away the moisture and my key in staying warm is staying DRY.

Just my two scents.... LOL
Tom

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:58 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

If those were my only choice's I would go with the Sport Side-Zip 18"... the one that isn't 1200 grams.

I choose that one for the reason(s) that Freddy mentioned... 1200 grams is WAYYY too much for Spring Turkey hunting... if you do indeed plan to use them for that. IMHO

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:43 pm
King of Spring

I think 1200 grams any time is to much in our climate(Virginia). 600 grams would be nice with a good sock for winter, but would still be to much for Spring Summer weather. Do stick with a zippered or gusseted boot thou. I bought the Lacross Burley boot, but it doesn't have a gussett. They can tend to slip slide on your feet. I know camo rubber boots are a little more, but if I had it to do again, I would go with Camo. Turkeys just see so well, it would give you a little more of a chance of not being seen too soon.

"Turkey hunting, when you knock all the feathers off it, is a game of infinite variables, played on a field of unlimited dimension, against an opponent who doesn't know the rules and wouldn't play by them if he did." ...Jim Spencer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:31 pm
You might want to check out the Woody Max Muck Boot...made by the Muck Boot Co. I have a pair and I can vouch for them the best rubber boots I've ever put on my feet! Easy on, easy off, no slipping while climbing and very comfortable.
GS...

Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:17 am