View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 4:32 pm

Where are the birds? 
Post Where are the birds?
I've been scouting now 4 different times (and plan on going several more times before the april 8 season opener). The first time I went was at about 1:00 in the afternoon last mondy and heard a hen off in the distance, but I went back to that same general area again at sundown and didn't hear a thing. The other few times I went I didn't hear anything either (saw a deer and a bobcat or fox run off at a distance but that was the highlight of my trip). Now, I am scouting and I will be hunting on National Forest land, but I have covered a good bit of land scouting and still not heard anything. I would certainly think there would be turkeys in this particular area on the Montgomery/Giles County line. I have seen lots of deer sign, but no turkeys. Any thoughts?

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:42 am
King of Spring

Try scouting Brush Mnt. up behind the big new subdivision and back in there....I think there is another access road somewhere up behind Preston Forest. I heard some guys tripled-up, up there last spring opening day. I would hunt on the right side of 460(heading towards Giles) just because it's a bigger area. I think you can start up behind Preston forest there, and walk all they way out the mountain to the Audie Murphy site there. topozone should show the access roads etc.

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:51 am
Boss Gobbler

Gobblers this time of year won't typically gobble much in the afternoon, evening, or midday. Even late morning it's tough to get a gobble this early in the breeding season. Right now I just try to listen at daylight. Birds will roost gobble several times before flying down and then just follow the hens around all day. Give it another 2 weeks and you're apt to hear them about anytime. Just my 2 cents...

Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:26 am
Profile WWW
Thanks you all for the help. Good luck this season!!!

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 am
Hey HokieGobbler, what year are you at Tech? I'm actually looking for someone to hunt with this season so let me know if you need a partner.

Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:59 pm
King of Spring

I'm a sophomore, do you go to VT, too? Also, I already have a hunting partner, sorry.

Ryan

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:36 am
2 Year Old

I don't know that you can have too many hunting partners. You never know where a common interest will get you. I've been invited on Turkey, elk, deer, dove, quail, bear and pheasant hunts, and fishing trips from rivers to lakes to seashore to deep sea and trophy flyfishing etc etc all over the country from simply striking up friendships over common interests.

Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:24 pm