View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 12:23 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Countdown . . . 
King of Spring

Always wait for a clean-kill shot. Know your gun's pattern & kill range, and wait until you know your trigger pull will quickly & humanely kill. A choice to shoot to under questionable circumstances could simply wound a bird, causing him a painful & slow death--perhaps over several days. Respect the majestic creature we all love to pursue so much, and wait for a clean-kill shot.

Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:04 pm
King of Spring

Today's tip: Buy a Strike King striker from Max!! Whatever slate-style call you use it on, it sounds fantastic!

Thanks Dale!

Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:41 am
King of Spring

. . . 19 days to go . . . we're under 20!! :)

"Every day is opening day during spring gobbler season. A bird might ignore you 16 straight days but then run right to you the 17th morning."

-Ernie Calandrelli (taken from an article by Brian Lovett in T&TH, April '06)

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:51 pm
King of Spring

Never call too much to a rooted gobbler. He's more likely to stay roosted longer, waiting for the hen he hears to appear under his tree. You also risk getting him really cranked up, which could attract an actual hen, or worse, another hunter.

Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:23 pm
King of Spring

"Throughout much of North America, turkeys are easier to pattern than white-tailed deer. By learning where they go--and where they return to later--your hunting success will skyrocket."
---Mark Kayser (3/'06 "North American Hunter")

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:07 pm
King of Spring

"A turkey that comes to the conclusion he may have made an error does not remain in place while he puzzles the matter out. He goes off into the woods a hundred yards or so to conduct his deliberations."
--Tom Kelly

Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:09 am
Boss Gobbler

PM... now you're getting to the numbers we've all been waiting for!!! Thanks!

Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:05 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:55 am
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Two-year-old gobblers are usually in their first year of active breeding and are therefore a hunter's ideal mix of youthful eagerness & mature confidence. These guys usually account for the bulk of the season's harvest. A gobbler that survives three years or longer becomes increasingly wary & more difficult to hunt.

Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:19 pm
King of Spring

Go PM, Go!

:D Go get 'em!

Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:20 pm
King of Spring

Man, this week is gonna be DRAG BY!!

"Creeks and rivers are turkey highways, especially in the spring, and it's always a good idea to give them special attention."
--Eddie Salter (Virginia Game & Fish, 3/06)

Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:42 pm
King of Spring

As the season progresses, consider how the changing amount of foliage affects your strategy. Early on when the trees are still bare, visibility is very high; a turkey could spot you from 200 yards in open forest and you'd never know it. Later on, when the woods have fully leafed out, turkey sounds are closer than they appear--the foliage dampens the sound.

Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:53 am
King of Spring

"The first week or two of a typical spring season is a time of notable transition in the wild turkey's world. Winter flocks start breaking up at this time. An unattached tom that wants to breed and hasn't yet accepted a subordinate role is ripe for your bogus hen sounds."
--John Higley

Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:47 pm
King of Spring

"Based on the 2004 recruitment data, I am expecting an increase in the spring 2006 kill for a change."
--Gary Norman (VA Game & Fish, March '06)

:) Man, I hope so!! :)

Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:20 pm
King of Spring

Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:23 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next